Car insurance scam?

I’ve used comparethemarket.com and entered all my details and declared any penalties. However my insurer is now saying I did NOT declare it and has cancelled my insurance? Wot. 

Any advice on what to do?

• Edna

Don't ever believe one of those online quotes that you might get from a place like "comparethemarket". They're just going to give you a low quote, in order to get you to sign up with them. Then, they're going to refer your application to a national insurance company, whose quote probably won't be anywhere near what "comparethemarket" gave you.

I recommend that, in the future, you do NOT try to obtain quotes yourself, either from nationwide auto insurance companies or from online sources. Instead, contact a local auto insurance broker or independent agent, who can search through all the many different companies they represent and can obtain a valid and the least-expensive quote for you. 

it dont ring true ..now you have a real problem ..all insurance companies ask ...has any  insurers ever refused you ..now they have ..and your next will also ask ...so how serious were the penalties?..just a standard speeding with 3 points would not have triggered this reaction ...now you might need a ticket for one of those 57 seaters ..red is nice 

This happens quite often. On line quotes are purposely low to get you signed up, then they hit you with higher rates and give some phony excuse. I've experienced the same thing. They said I have 3 adults in my house according to county records, instead of just two. I told them it's just my wife and I only, for 10 years, but they still wouldn't give me the rate quoted, so I shopped elsewhere.

• May

Didn't declare what? Ask them to explain.

What to do ? Get your insurance from a different company

Try 800 numbers of insurers. For me, Geico or State Farm are always the cheapest and I have never used anyone else. Nobody cancels insurance for no reason. They have no reason to and its not a scam because you get a pro-rata refund.

Your policy was cancelled for misrepresentation / non-disclosure of material information.  That's a deal-killer in any legal contract (except a marriage), and that's what happened to you.

Find out exactly which detail you didn't declare.  Then don't non-disclose that detail again.

Scams happen when you pay money for something you never get.  When an insurer cancels your policy, they stop collecting money from you.  That's not a scam.

Don't commit insurance fraud again.

Obviously you DID NOT  declare it to them previously, so TFB. That's the consequence of failing to disclose all information. You had better find insurance pronto or your vehicle registration will be automatically suspended within 10 business days if you don't. 

Buy some other crappy insurance online or go to a reputable agent who can support your needs properly and clear up issues like this without your insurance being canceled..

• ijabo4 weeks agoReport

Cheers dude