Eve asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 2 months ago

Should I get a tattoo even though my parents don’t like them?

I’m an 18 year old college student, but i still live with my parents (because, i mean i just turned 18 so). I used to be suicidal, and i want a lovely flower tattoo on the place where i used to self harm as a symbol of my personal growth, but my parents don’t like tattoos as a whole idea. It’s perfectly legal and i can afford it, but i’m afraid of having a fight about it or having my parents think less of me. Any helpful opinions?

• Mystic

Absolutely. You are 18. Your parents no longer have a say so in this matter. I think your idea is wonderful and will turn out beautifully if you go to a good, professional tattoo artist. If you want it done, go get it done. Your parents can dislike it all they want. It isn't their body, therefore it isn't their decision. A tattoo does not change the person you are and does not make you a bad person.

I think that's a lovely idea for a tattoo. It depends how much you want it - it may cause a fight if your parents are very against the idea, but is it worth the fight? If not, you could just get the tattoo in a place they won't see, or wait until you move out. 

• Mystic

Tough crap to the parents. If they want to start drama over their ADULT child getting a tattoo, they need to grow up and be more mature. They have no say so.

• LM440

Your story is one of survival and progress.  I think the tattoo is a great idea to celebrate and support your accomplishments.  

I think once you get the tattoo, your parents may accept it more easily than you think.  Please yourself, be honest and I think this can all work out just fine.

I think as you have already suffered with suicidal issues you don’t need unnecessary pressure. I would sit down & explain or write it down how much they mean to you, u don’t want to disrespect their views but would really appreciate their support. They might not like tattoos but u do. Good luck 

• Laura

I think its a good reason to get a tattoo and the design idea is a classic one for those who have overcome self harm.  I also have a flower tattoo over some self harm scars.  

Even though its a great reason, I don't think you should get the tattoo just yet.  You are still living with your parents and rely on them for support.  Because you are a legal adult, they can kick you out and basically stop supporting you because of this tattoo.  If you are not ready to fully support yourself and live on your own, I would not get this tattoo.  I would also not get this tattoo if they are paying for your college or other schooling. 

Tattoos are forever.  Staying under your parents is not.  Keep the money in a tattoo specific savings account, and wait.  When you know their disapproval of your tattoo won't effect your life, get it.

I see tattooing over scars has already been covered, with good points well made

Once you take that into account, have you considered waiting? Partly to appease your parents, you already know they wont approve, is it really the hill you want to die on?

Plan this for when you do move out, make this your gesture to yourself as you enter into adulthood, whenever that may be.

It’s your body and you have complete ownership of it so I think you should go for it

Also the message of this tattoo is a good one so I feel like if they won’t let you have it that’s just not right

Well, first helpful tip would be this- how many scars are you planning to cover? If they are big or deep, no reputable tattoo artist will touch you due to high risk of keloids. Your ink will never settle, look blotchy as hell, and you will get deep, painful balls of scar tissue that will keep coming back over and over if you get inked over scars. 

Second is, who cares what your parents think? When you turn 18, your body is yours. Just don't mention anything to them if you decide to get something.

• Edwena

Yes, skip the tattoo and grow up.

• Mystic

You won't lose a damn thing. If someone is so pathetically judgmental they stop talking to you over a tattoo, GOOD! Consider it a huge favor. You're better off without people like that, family or not.