"You can only really write about that which you have never experienced first-hand" Does anyone know who said/wrote this?

Presumably a famous author, but I'm not sure..

Favorite Answer

Yeah. I know this one. Not sure of his name, but it was a guy in the 1940's who was a passenger in one of the first commercial cross-Atlantic aeroplane flights. It was the last thing he ever wrote..... they found it in the wreckage. Yes, it turns out that the pilot dropped dead and he took over. Unfortunately, he'd never experienced flying an aeroplane before and...... well...... you can probably imagine what happened. Hope this helped.

I've never heard that before so I don't know who said it.  I tend to think that it's the opposite.  The traditional advice is "write what you know".  But then again, I don't think that there are any hard "rules" to writing, other than perhaps making it interesting for the reader.