if i update my dell laptop to windows 7 to windows 10 will it erase all data on my laptop?

• John

No.......................

possibly not.  the fact is which drive  u want to format.. if u want to format local drive c for your new windows then oviously all your data which is situated on your local drive c will be erased..  

• keerok

Most probably yes.

"to windows 7 to windows 10" makes no sense.  Explain.

Source(s): My Win 7 HP laptop went to Win 10 just fine. But I had no personal files or programs on it at time.

Windows OS upgrades should only touch your OS, not your personal files. In other words, no, it won't erase any of your programs (unless they're deemed incompatible) or touch your documents/pictures, etc.

However, it is still prudent to have a backup of important data whether or not you're going to be doing an OS upgrade. It may take longer to setup a backup system, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Not if the upgrade process is followed correctly.

• Murzy

no but it's a good idea tom back up before you upgrade

No it won't erase the information if you follow my instructions first virus clean your computer run Malwarebytes and get rid of all the trash and defragment your computer. then download the Windows 10 media installation tool directly to your desktop and run it it will upgrade your computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free if you do it now! you will be given the opportunity to choose whether to keep your files or whether to discard your files make sure you check the appropriate box.