Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Would you date a guy who drinks and smokes?

Favorite Answer

Definitely not.  I would not date a guy.  How gross.

no cuz they only want sex, if i was a girl i wouldnt

• Mystic

Been there, done that. Luckily, mine has STOPPED smoking (YAY!) and with the drinking, well... let's just call that a work in progress. He is to the point now he really doesn't like being around smokers which I think is absolutely awesome. He came home yesterday from hanging out with a couple of his buddies who still smoke and he wasn't happy. He was annoyed his clothing stunk and said he couldn't believe HE used to walk around stinking like that lol He has also joked he doesn't see how I braved kissing him when he smoked and I definitely told him it was far from pleasurable and reminded him he tastes and smells MUCH better now.

The best thing to do to help someone is to KEEP helping them even after they've succeeded in quitting. Keep reminding them they've done good and made a good choice. Remind them of their progress by acknowledging the anniversary of their quit date and doing something small to celebrate how long it's been since they gave it up. That can work with smoking AND drinking. Showing someone just how bad these things can be on their health can help too. Show them comparison photos of a smoker's lungs vs. a non-smoker's lungs. Show them pics of a heavy drinker's liver vs. a non-drinker's liver. Let them see what smoking does, what liver damage/cirrhosis looks like. Yes, the images are pretty nasty, but sometimes, that's exactly what they need to see. Ask them if that's what they want THEIR body to look like. Show them a list of all the awful things that can come from smoking, drinking, etc. Sometimes cold, hard honest truth is what it takes to get the message across.

Quitting smoking and/or drinking is NOT easy. It takes a lot of strength and willpower. It also takes a good support system. Having a good influence helps. With my case, I do not smoke OR drink and never have. I made a VERY strong support system for my guy as he went through the quitting process with cigarettes. I'm doing the same for drinking. I'm providing him with facts and graphic images of what excessive alcohol can do. I'm also explaining what "excessive" actually IS because a lot of people are strongly in denial with that. They think if they "only binge on weekends" it's ok. No, it isn't. You don't have to drink every day to have a problem or cause trouble with your body/health. Raising awareness and educating people is a HUGE help. It isn't easy to do, but it's well worth it.

Also, keep in mind that you cannot FORCE someone to change. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink. Always remember that. You can talk all you want and try as hard as you want. That will do NOTHING if they truly do not have any desire to change. Pushing and nagging will only piss them off. You cannot control a grown adult. If they are drinking/smoking, they unfortunately aren't doing anything illegal. If they are 21+, they are free to do it. With drinking, the only legal matter would be if they were to do something ignorant like drink and drive. Then, it would be ILLEGAL and you could involve the police for sure. If they are just drinking at home, you can be annoyed and disapprove all you want, but you aren't in any position to tell them what to do.

• GB

I have done in the past, and was married to a man who did both. (I am a widow.)  But I would never date a smoker again. 

No, the drinking I could tolerate but not the smoking.

I have dated a guy who drinks and smokes... many moons ago

Yes because i also drink and smoke

• steve

No but then I am a straight man.

My wife Drinks and smokes as do I and haven't found it a problem and obviously neither has she.

In fact most of my previous girlfriends drank and smoked.

There was one who did neither but wasn't bothered that I did both.

I currently date a guy who drinks and smokes

• Helen

No.....................

If it was everyday or a lot then no. Every once in a while sure. Not a chain smoker or an alcoholic.