How long can a house construction in a neighborhood last for? And what can I absolutely do?

It really disturbs me where the construction noise is super loud since it's right next to me. And not even earplugs work where I happen to wake up early. This Wednesday it'll be a month since this started and I was wondering if there's any law that the construction house noise shouldn't last long since I need to sleep, eat, study for midterms/finals

So my neighbors are moving out and the workers are fixing something inside the house. I live in a residential area and I pay my house $2700 a month to live in peace

Many residential communities have noise ordinances for evening hours witch explains why most construction workers typically take their lunchboxes & go home in the afternoon.

But if your just complaining about the noise that happens during the course of a regular workday then I'm afraid the only ordinance that would apply is the one called "Tough Sh*t!  

• Athena

Nope, sorry.

As long as the construction is during reasonable hours they can go on until the job is done.

Do you think that they don't have a right to build or renovate, add an addition or whatever?  It will take as long as it takes.  The government does not insert itself in personal affairs when people have EVERY RIGHT TO build, renovate, etc. for as long as it takes.  When your lease is up, move.  If you own the place, suck it up.  Wear earplugs.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

Depends on what needs to be done. Building a whole house? Can take a year or so.

There are laws when they can work, it is usually something like 7 am to 7 pm.

I've lived through this before and you have my sympathies. When it happened with me once one home got done they'd move on the next house. I lived on a cul de sac and my house was the first one finished and built. From there 4 more went up one by one. It was rough as I don't sleep well at night and sleep better in the mornings.

• xyzzy

I feel so sorry for you. I don't know how long is allowed where you live but i most places the construction period is usually 30 to 45 days. If it goes longer you need to contact a lawyer.

• blank

Your answer is possible three fold:

1) Talk to the contractor - ask them how much longer the scope of work might take (add at least 2 weeks for delays).    Over soon enough - deal.   IF not, ask the contractor if he can restrict hours to 8am - 5pm, week days.   Document reply.

2) Scope of work will possibly determine construction time.  You updated to say this is a renovation.   IF it is just the kitchen, they may be almost done.  IF it is a complete gut and remodel of interior, of a 2 story or more house, they could be at it for a long time.

3) Check your local laws about building and noise abatement.  Worse comes to worse, stop by your local police station or call non-emergency phone line for info/education.

Good luck.

• y

We have a house that isn't quite finished yet, but it is getting close. They started prepping the lot almost three years ago. The first year, we thought he was just training his guys on the big equipment, turns out, he  just kept changing his mind on what he wanted.

That would be a local law. Call your city hall.

• Rayal

The only rule may be a start time and a finish time by regulation in your locality.

They can build for years if the permit allows.  1 month is a very short time to build and finish a house generally speaking. 

• Rayal
      1 month agoReport

Same rules apply. Talk to the contractor with your concerns.  It doesn't matter how much you pay for rent at all.