Anna asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

How do you make a self-sufficient aquarium? ?

I know I still need to do water changes and cleaning in a tank, but I was wondering how to make one that needed a water change every 1-2 months. I want to use guppies, neon tetras, and some sort of shrimp in the tank. I would also like to have some snails and would obviously need live plants. I struggle at knowing what type of live plants to use, how big the tank should be... etc. 

If someone could give me a list of what to buy, how many gallons the tank should be, how many fish I could have, the substrate, etc I would need, please help me! 

Use male and female guppies (you'll never need to add more as they breed) add lots of plates (java moss is good for cleaning water and giving baby gupps somewhere to hide) and add other plants. That's about it . And if you do this , sometimes you don't even need a filter and can wait on water changes as long as the toxic levels don't rise , which they usually don't since the plants take care of that

You can't mix saltwater and freshwater fish together. They require different temperatures and well, salt for the saltwater fish. The tetras will die. Before figuring out what you need, do a little research on having a fish tank. Sounds like you want saltwater fish more and they require quite a bit of work and money and if you are not careful the fish will die. 

I had a freshwater tank for years. I've talked to quite a few people that had a saltwater tank and the fish were always dying. Educate yourself before you go spend the money.

• Anna1 month agoReport

Also, I know a lot about neon tetras and guppies. They eat similar diets and they are both tropical fish that live in similar temperatures. The shrimp part, is what I was not sure what exactly I wanted. So... yeah. Chill out and learn.