Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Hebrews question for Christians?

After what order did Jesus become priest, and how is this different from the priests at the temple

Favorite Answer

Jesus became a priest after the order of Melchizedek. I shouldn't have to point this out, but "order" shows us that more than one man had this authority, e.g., Melchizedek himself as well as Jesus Christ. Never listen to a church that pretends that only Jesus Christ ever held the Melchizedek priesthood. Otherwise why call it after Melchizedek? It wouldn't make sense.

The priests at the temple held Aaronic authority. Their priesthood eligibility was determined by descent, with regard to father and mother. It is a temporary authority, which ends with death, unlike Melchizedek authority (without beginning of days or end of years).

• Paul

A priest offers sacrifice on behalf of the people. Jesus offered the supreme sacrifice - Himself - on behalf of all people.

Simple. In the comparison of Melchizedek's priesthood to Jesus' priesthood (Heb. 4), Psalm 110, the word "order" translates the Greek word "taxis", or "arrangement" or "of similar arrangement", nature of, "just like Melchizedek.". The word "likeness" in Heb. 7:15 shows the difference between the two. The word "another" (heteros), Heb. 7:11, 15 shows the distinction too. Jesus applied Psalm 110 to himself, (Mt. 22:43-45. We are shown a "type/anti-type", M. was a king and priest, just as Jesus is king and priest. Two figures of speech come into view. "Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life. but made like unto the Son of God, abides a priest continually.", Heb. 7:3 Not literal, but it shows that Jesus' priesthood came from God directly, just a M's did, and not through the Aaronic priesthood, which prevailed under the Mosiac regime. In one of the Amarna letters there is a striking text, "Behold, as for me, it was not my father and not my mother who set me in this place; the arm of the mighty king brought me into the house of my father." (#286, Armana letter, about king Abdu-Heba, written ca. 1400-1360 B.C.) Melchizedek did not owe his priesthood to his physical parents. The same applied to Jesus; it was not His Hebrew lineage, but His direct appointment from God that gave Him His priesthood. All of this is underscored by "having neither beginning of days nor end of life." Contrasted to the Levitical priesthood, who served in the tabernacle from age 25 to age 50 (Num. 8:24-25) no such limit is suggested in scripture regarding Melchizedek. The same with Jesus, our "High Priest", who serves throughout the span of His entire reign, until it fades into that eternal administration, Rev. 13b, and unending effect throughout eternity.

JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD HE IS NOT A PRIEST

I think that you have answered your own question.

He got an order from the voices in his head. He was different from the priests of the temple because he heard voices in his head.