Is it normal for a guy to want kids?

I’m 16 and I get that girls want to have kids because it’s in there nature to procreate. But I rarely hear about guys wanting to have kids. But I do, am I just weird. I’m not gonna have a kid now, but as the days go by I just want to raise a family more and more.

• Helen

Yes, many guys want kids. And many girls don't. It's normal and fine, however you feel about it.

But don't rush it. You have a lot in life left to experience yet. Once you have kids, your life is never your own anymore.

Most guys your age don't even think about that yet.. Eventually they want kids though.

• steve

It is equally normal for both males and females to want to have children. I would suggest at 16 you are 5 or 10 years away from the time you should even start to be considering it.

You need to have a home to house them, a partner to actually have them with, a job to pay for them (kids are expensive). 

Most importantly you need to be mature.

I am not being critical because of your age but at 16 you are only a child yourself. Live life and get some experience of it before you jump into parenthood. You have loads of years ahead of you to live before you tie yourself down with a family.

I would suggest that you NOT have children until you are better educated and able to afford them AND have a partner who wants to bear YOUR children.

Their, there, they're.

Yes. It is normal.