Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 3 weeks ago

Is buying plants from Thailand risky?

Any insight would be helpful. I ordered some plants from Thailand without the certificate (I know I know I know but I just didn’t want to send an extra $35 for the price of paper...). I paid $65 for them so I’m worried I won’t actually receive my plants and they’ll destroy it at customs or something horrible. This is my first time buying from overseas so I don’t know what to expect. I don’t know if the package is held or they’re just not updating tracking well enough.

What does “origin post preparing for shipment” mean? Is it out of Thailand and it is in the states preparing to move or does that mean it’s still in Thailand and preparing to come to the US?

How long does it normally take? It’s now the 24rd and it has not updated since the 17th. I live in the US, Florida. Should I be worried?? 

Your plants might not make it past customs.

Not if you're from Thailand, no.

• Elaine

Unless  the proper paperwork accompanies the plants the US Customs will confiscate the plants.  Did you purchase the plants from a reputable Thai  dealer?  As you are well aware some plants are not permitted to be imported into the US. Maybe the plants you purchased will be allowed in the US. Either way Customs usually informs the importer which in this case is you.