BestN asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

CAN I use a dog carrier as a crate in the house? Would my puppy be confused if her crate is used to take her to new places? Thanks!?

-

Favorite Answer

Carriers are TOO SMALL to be used as a crate, and are not for "carrying" the puppy anywhere.  You simply PUT a crate (or the carrier) in a vehicle & then place the puppy IN IT.  

I have never caught and corralled a puppy like some people do CATS in (the house) and stuffed into a CARRIER (fighting all the way) in order to take it anywhere (esp the vet).  Puppies learn from the day they come home, the CRATE is a GOOD place.  I also feed mine in their crate.  Once finished with vaccinations, the puppy gets to go to fun dog places and/or running fields, pet supply stores, and errands with me.  The crate acts like a child safety seat & keeps them SAFER in case of a collusion, than a seat belt.

I DO NOT bother with carriers.  Instead, I simply use wire crates (for better air-flow and sight lines when I am driving).  Puppies who can SEE OUT of a crate while you are driving, are far LESS LIKELY to suffer car-sickness.  I have a correctly sized crate (bungied down -btw) in the car and another same size, for the house.  I stopped DRAGGING crates around pretty quickly - when I started going a lot of places to socialize and train the first puppy.  If you use an adult-size crate, you can RESTRICT the size or floor space, until the puppy grows INTO IT.

• Verulam ..... 1
      1 month agoReport

One thing I have noticed with mine that differs to what's said here (most of which I'd agree with) is mine travel better when it's dark outside - so I actually cover their crate when in the car to limit the travel sickness!

Apart from not being big enough, surely a puppy might chew a soft carrier, especially if confined in one for way too long.   Wire crates, one for the car, one for the house to avoid having to move it around, would be way better.

If you take the door off & just let it be a bed, I have no problem with that. Keeping the pup locked in a crate in the house, NO. I don't like crate training. Leaving an animal locked in a cage just barely large enough to turn around in, for hours & hours on end, is cruel in my opinion. Just my opinion. Some think it is the thing to do & the dogs/pups suffer.

Check out 'exercise pens for dogs'. Far better than a cage.

No, the carriers are too small. I RECOMMEND a crate at least one size larger than the manufacturers recommendation. To be clear, this is their everyday sleeping crate. You want them to be able to turn around and FULLY stand up in the crate. This is for their comfort. I DO NOT recommend leaving your dog crated for more than 4 hours.

Unless your dog is the size of your hand, this would not work. A crate needs to be roomy enough for her to 1. Stand up in and 2. Be able to turn around in comfortably. They cannot be too big OR too small. Every carrier I've seen require the pets to lay down in and they cannot stand up or move around. They are completely confined.

No, it's not big enough.

• audrey

A carrier is not big enough for your dog in the house.