Anonymous

If a white woman and a black man have a baby, is their baby white or black?

BLACK. I consider anybody who has any sub saharan ancestry to be Black, African.  The baby will probably look Black or mixed, but even if it looks White, it will still be Black.

For instance, I consider myself to be a Black person.  My father is Latino and Africans mixed into the gene pool down in Latin America and when my dad married my White American mom, he had me. I took a DNA test and came out 3 percent African which is derived from the African slaves in Latin America.  I also am 12 percent Native American and 85 percent European.  Now, I LOOK White. But my actual race is BLACK since any amount of Sub Saharan African makes you Black. And I even list myself as Black on government forms.

So if I am 3 percent African and am a Black man, somebody who is 40-50 percent Sub Saharan African will most definitely be Black.

• Ann

The baby is technically a mulatto baby (half/half). 

It depends on who you ask.

Some people (mostly racists) will tell you the baby is black like his father.

Others would say he's mulatto, biracial or mixed.

Another group would reply he's just human.

• reme_1

In this country the baby would be considered black.

• Zirp

The skincolour of the baby depends on what chromosomes (bundles of DNA, you have 23 from either parent) it happens to get.

It could be as black as the father, but if the father carries the genes for white, it could just as likely come out as white as its mother.

The parents can decide on what they want to say.  The kid'll make her or his own decision in due course.  And naturally, third parties will say whatever they want while the family's backs are turned.  There's no set rule, and no one to enforce one.  Make up your own answer.

There used to be legislation on the matter, in many jurisdictions - but nearly all of that has been thrown out for years, now.  If any still exists, it's probably just been overlooked.  It would be buried in the county or regional/state rules regarding completion of birth records, and different in each location.

It depends who you ask.

If you ask Sam he'll say black.  Ask us and we'll say black too.

But in most places outside US borders the baby would be referred to as mixed race.

• kathryn3 weeks agoReport

Finally, a non white person has said this.  Politically correct people seem more likely to listen to people who aren’t white.  

Their baby would be both. It cant be just one considering a child gets 50% of the mother's DNA and 50% of the fatheres

Their baby would be considered 'mixed race' or 'mixed ethnicity'.

• Cogito

Such children can be black or white or, more commonly, a mixture of both.  Mixed race.