Car insurance claim - please help!?

So my car was parked outside a friends last night when a van hit it, we saw it happen so went out spoke to the guy and exchanged details. Today i phoned my insurance, they confirmed it would be a non fault claim assuming he doesn’t contest it for some reason and it won’t affect my no claims or next premium and his insurers will pay. They then looked at his insurers and turns out they’re in liquidation which completely changes things and means it has to go through my insurance, meaning I now have to pay the excess and my insurance will have to pay meaning it may affect my no claims discount and also my premium for next time, unless they can somehow get money from them after my car has been repaired. 

It all just seems pretty unfair to be honest considering it wasn’t my fault. So basically I’m just looking for some advice as I don’t know much about all this kind of stuff, so any would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Favorite Answer

Insurance companies don't care about fair and unfair, they only care about what the contract says and what the law allows them to do.  People have hearts, insurance companies don't.

You can ignore the answers telling you to sue the other driver.  If your insurance company pays for this, they will sue the other vehicle owner in court.  They have a whole team of people (called the subrogation department) who do that very thing, and they're much better at it than you are.

If the other vehicle owner is successfully sued, you'll get your deductible (excess) back before they get their claim payout back.  You paid out first, so you get compensated first.  The insurance company will sue for the entire loss, not just the amount they paid out.

As for any premium increases, there isn't much you can do about that if it happens.  

• May

so basically, you can chalk this up to "stuff happens"  So basically.

The "so" and the "basically" generation:  Do they have a clue?

Grammar matters

It may not seem fair but that is what can happen when you do not carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. FAIL. Your only recourse is to sue the other driver independently and seek a judgement that covers all costs including an increase in your insurance. Good luck getting anything from someone who is insolvent though. Learn your lesson and get the extra coverage. Did I say fail? I meant EPIC FAIL. In case you didn't know it, in many cities as many as 1 out of 8 drivers isn't properly insured. 

You can always pay out of pocket.

• Kieth

If they increase your rates, change insurance companies. If you go with cheap insurance, you get cheap coverage.