What does it mean when a guy says "maybe?"?

I texted my crush asking if he wanted to get food this weekend.

He said, "I have a game and plans this weekend but maybe Sunday, might be free."

Is this a nice way of saying no? Or am I just over-analyzing?

Favorite Answer

It could go either way.  I would wait to see if he lets you know if he has free time sunday.  Do not initiate it, don't text and ask him.  If he doesn't text your or tell you if hes free or not, then its most def. a no.  If he makes an effort and says either yes I am free or sorry I am not free but maybe we can do it this day ETC.  Then you might be on the right track.

Why don't you text him back and tell him you may be having some fun with some other guys this weekend if that is the best he can do. Don't give me no MAYBE, I'm not going to be sitting at home while you're out fooling around me. It means he might find time for you Sunday Night. What would you like to do this weekend, we could get it on.

• Alan H

It certainly means that he is not sufficiently committed 

• steve

Why didn't you say ok Sunday is good and if he then said again oh sorry can't make that either then at least you will know.

Maybe means just that it maybe possible but he didn't know what else he was doing that meant he couldn't.

It is not necessarily a no.

Why not actually speak to him and arrange a time and day when you are both going to be available.

You're over analyzing. He has plans and if those plans don't work out he might hit you up.

It's a "nice" way of saying no, move on.