promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Jesere
Lv 7
Jesere asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

Do you put out bird food? If so how many birds come to your backyard to eat?

We have over 100 doves and at least 40+ sparrows, some finches and blackbirds.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes we put out wild bird seed, fat balls and Granola! We get Blackbirds, Thrushes. Robins, Bluetits, Chaffinches. We also throw old food onto our lawn and Rooks and Magpies make short work of it. We get occasional visits from a Woodpecker but he is very cautious. (UK answer).

• boy boy
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

your also inviting vermin ..

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

My wife does and we get a couple hundred of starlings and sparrows pigeons doves magpies crows its  bread crumbs and basic no humming birds or lesser spotted thingamies 

• 2 months ago

All food will eventually be returned to the Earth 

• 2 months ago

I have a feeder outside my kitchen window.  The birds feed non-stop all day. Impossible to say how many individual birds because only several can occupy the feeder at once.  With the feeder so close, it's possible to watch their behavior. 

*Chickadees take turns. They perch in nearby trees, fly in for a seed (black oil) and then return to their perch. 

*Juncos occasionally fly up to the feeder, but more often scavenge the ground beneath it.

*Purple and yellow finches stay at the feeder and fight off others until they've had their fill or get chased off themselves.

*Blue Jays will land at, and hog the feeder while shoveling out seed to their companions on the ground.

*Red breasted nuthatch, similar to chickadee behavior but skittish.

*Mourning doves haven't shown up yet, but they are typically ground feeders here.

*Red squirrels.....well, even tree rats gotta eat.

By spring last year, I had several red squirrels eating out of my hand.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/UtcheumPGJEogB8DA  The chickadees took note and I had one that would hang around expectantly and wait for me to offer seed.  It would perch on my thumb and take a seed.  Fly off to eat the seed, then come back a couple of minutes later for more.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I don't believe in feeding any wild animal.  I believe in not destroying their habitat instead.  I live where there are lots of wild animals.  We live side by side and we even enjoy each other's company but I don't feed them, and they don't bother me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.