Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Is it legal for a citizen to pay a local police department to focus on a specific crime?

I was wondering if there was anybody familiar with the law that could tell me if this is constitutional. I’m thinking it HAS to be legal but it just doesn’t seem like it could be constitution or something of that nature. Basically, this rich man where I live donated half a million to our police department to have them focus on catching “drivers high on marijuana” but it doesn’t really make sense to me how you can pay a police department to focus on a specific crime. It was accepted by our city council despite local disapproval but it just doesn’t seem like it could be politically correct.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

NO! You cannot do such a thing. They work for the City and ONLY the city. If you want to hire someone for your case or issue only, you will have to hire someone who is not working for the city. Perhaps, a private investigator.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

Often times contributions are made to police departments with the intention of having more attention focused on particular crimes.

The federal government is probably the most common of such contributors. I would guess that insurance companies would be next.

If the half a million dollars is enough money for the city to hire an additional officer whose primary purpose is to look out for people driving while intoxicated (by marijuana), then they're likely to accept the money. That officer can also be available to enforce other laws, not just the one they were primarily hired to do.

The inverse would not be true. Someone couldn't contribute money to the police in order for them to look the other way with regards to various crimes.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, in general terms, one could do that. He can make a donation and specify what it be used for

• 3 weeks ago

The man who donated the money did not pay the local police to focus on a specific crime. Sometimes gifts come with stipulations, but not when a donation is made to law enforcement. The department will decide what it is to be used for. Naturally, they have the option to invest in something that will help them catch high drivers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

You could maybe pay overtime like happens for events and get them that way. It's going to depend on the department.

That's exactly how the city is treating it in the case you mentioned. They treat it as a grant and use the money to pay for that.

• 3 weeks ago

One can donate to the police.

One cannot pay the police to do any specific acts. A donor can REQUEST that the police use the donation in a given way, but the police are under NO obligation to agree.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Marijuana doesn't impair driving, it would be a waste of money and a lost cause. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes-----------------------------------

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.