Why do people remain ignorant about puppy mills and backyard breeders?

I find people all over the internet treating their designer mutts as actual breeds. It is very disappointing that the general public continues to support these unethical breeders.

Favorite Answer

We live in a 'get it now' society and I believe it's as simple as that.  Good breeders don't normally always have a litter on tap so somebody waking up one morning and wanting a puppy, will usually find one c/o a BYB or Pet shop (Puppy farmers).  We can just keep up the education, and hope it eventually dawns on people that these sources are not a good idea.

It's a shame so many of these 'doodles or poohs are so darned appealing as puppies!

I would love to see these places shut down. Not only do they breed dogs of poor health they also make the shelters full of dogs that desperately need homes.

Where I live the backyard breeding is not nearly as bad as in America and other places. I think that's why there are so few kill shelters here (also we are a smaller country) We don't have a stray dog issue either. Most dogs brought to our rescue are back with their owners in a week as opposed to being a true stray. That's been improved since it became illegal to not microchip your dog. 

Not a fan of pure breeds myself as they seem to carry aliments specific to their breed. A damn good mutt can't be beaten. The purer the breed the higher the risk. I think people paying stupid amounts for a cross-bred is well...stupid. But in my opinion, cross breed are worth more than pure "designer" breeds. 

Not referring to the true breeders out there. The ones who look to improve a breed and reduce health risks. There seem to be few of them sadly. Unless you want to pay stupid amounts for these types of dog (worth it for working dogs) you are better with a cross bred from a rescue.

I hope you aren't assuming than anyone with a mixed breed dog is ignorant or is supporting unethical breeders.

There are plenty of wonderful people who adopt mutts from rescues.  

And it is possible for a person to responsibly breed mixes. If the dogs are well-cared for, a person should enjoy that right. Mistreating dogs or puppies is always wrong but breeding mixes is not mistreatment. If someone breeds a poodle and a ___, so what? So long as they are cared for and loved. 

To flat out say it's wrong to do so is silly. After all, how do you think every current recognized domestic dog breed came to be? It started by **mixing breeds** to develop particular traits. 

• Verulam 1
      1 month agoReport

Yes of course the breeds we see today were developed from other breeds but the difference is those people wanting a dog for a specific job were prepared to only breed from the best, being prepared to cull if one direction didn't work out.  BYBs only mix-breed to part the gullible from their money.

I would love to see them all banned & shut down, all of them. Mandatory spay/neuter of all pet dogs & cats. Spay/neuter on exotics, too, when possible.

They CHOOSE to remain that way for one reason. Cheap prices on pets. Not realizing that in the long run they will pay more in vet bills related to health issues when choosing a BRB over a conformation breeder. Conformation breeders breed their dogs for the betterment and advancement of the breed. BRB do it for GD money. 

In well over 30 years of having Dobermans in our house. We've had exactly THREE litters. Keeping three(one puppy out of each litter). And finding wonderful homes for the others. Yes, we sold them. But you NEVER get back all the money you put into them. We do it because the blood lines and now DNA lines indicate a perfect match to produce a litter that conforms to the standards of the breed. With the temperament needed for that breed.

• Verulam 1
      1 month agoReport

recoups costs however.  We only bred for our next generation and were happy if we broke even, with a nice puppyi (or two) going forward.

Because they choose to remain ignorant about purebred dogs. People believe the myth that mixed breeds are somehow healthier/smarter, and some also buy into the "hypoallergenic" lies that are attached to the poodle mixes.

They somehow believe they are getting "the best of both breeds".

Once they are duped into overpaying for a mutt, they dont want to admit that they were had.

• Verulam 1
      1 month agoReport

" ..they are getting "the best of both breeds"." I came across somebody breeding Bassets to Shar Pei.When I remonstrated about the wisdom of this I was told he was doing this to correct all the wrongs in both breeds ie skin problems!.  I'd far rather the man had told the truth - it was for income

People remain ignorant about all kinds of things. Why should puppy mills be any different?

It's because people post on Yahoo about backyard breeders instead of contacting their local news media, writing letters to Politicians, doing whatever they can t stop the practice.

Most people have never SEEN a puppy mill just like they've never seen a feed lot or slaughterhouse.     They know they exist, but they just don't think about it as long as they want the end product.

You really couldn't work that one out on your own?

I really doubt that the general public is unaware of the puppy mills in the western nations. But there are those who don't care and will go for designer pups because they can afford them.

It's like buying a Lamborghini car because they can afford it, not because it's the best and most reliable car to have. In econ 101, it's called conspicuous consumption.