Anonymous

Is it better to work in nonprofit or government field?

I am graduating this spring and I know that I want to do a job that helps people. I am graduating with degrees in communications and political science. I feel stuck because I interned in government and networked with many people in the field and the same is true for nonprofits. I genuinely like both. I am not sure which route to pick. Would I be happier working at a non-profit working on a single issue or in government trying to advocate and fight for many issues? There’s things about nonprofits I like such as more direct services and smaller bureaucracy. But with government, there is more job security and potential to make a larger impact. In nonprofits, I’m interested in directing programming. In government, I’m interested in working on legislative issues on an elected official’s team.

Here's an idea:

- apply to a whole bunch of jobs that you are interested in.

- even include jobs in the for profit sector.

Hope you get hired at at least one and that it pays enough that you will be able to support yourself. 

• ?

Non profit is basically government often or the least, deeply politically charged.

On your definition, "better" is what would make you "happier."  How would anyone possibly know what would make you happier?  If you don't know, no one does.