FN - 2187 asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Can dogs actually understand TV?

Like my dog stares at it and sometimes bark but can she actually see Old Yeller and go “hey there’s a doggo in that box”?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Understand? No.....do many dogs watch TV and react to it? Yes, often if they see an animal  or even sports programmes like snooker/pool where there is a ball rolling and many are activated towards the music on adverts or programmes

• Login to reply the answers
  • Nancy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Unlike humans, dogs overwhelmingly dominant sense is smell, not site.  It's believed that seeing a picture of a dog isn't comprehended by dogs as being dogs because they don't smell like dogs.  Your dog reacts to the sound of an actual dog barking on TV, though, because dogs react to the sound of other dogs barking, howling, etc. as that is how dogs communicate with one another over distance, how packs organize themselves when hunting, for example.  

You will notice, however, that your dog won't always react to the sound of a dog barking on TV, which is believed to be because either the sound isn't really that of a dog but some imitation or because the audio track is failing to reproduce the full range of frequencies, specifically the huge range of frequencies that humans can't hear but dogs can, frequencies that many audio devices and their speakers don't generate because they're specifically designed to generate sounds for human hearing and often lack the ability to reproduce the ultra-high frequencies that humans don't hear but dogs do and that dogs themselves generate when communicating with other dogs.

• 4 weeks ago

'Understand' - unlikely.   See/hear animals, of course.  I had hysterics long ago when our second hound, seeing a brown bear lumber across the screen, flew across the room to the side of the TV and then, realising it wasn't real, backed off looking embarrassed!!

My Whippet, who hates Black and White Border Collies for some reason, goes nuts when she sees one on TV, especially a certain advert for vacuums.  She even reacts to the music before the dog appears.

When flyball is on (Crufts) my Basset sits right in front of the TV getting highly animated.   Note blurring of his tail - it's wagging.

Attachment image
    • Abdul4 weeks agoReport

Top 17 mistakes you should stop making if you are a Dog owner. 😮 🔥👇👇?
      https://bit.ly/2R6ANFW

• 4 weeks ago

Not sure they can "see" and visually recognize dogs in TV, but they can certainly hear them if the TV sound fidelity is good.

My pup frequently responds to hearing barking on the TV. But the barking has to be from real dogs and not synthetically generated special effects.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ioerr
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

google reports that apparently they can, and do

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.