promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why don't the people who control SNAP care? I am disabled and receive SSI which means I live on next to nothing, this year I received a?

small COLA in my check and for that my SNAP benefits were reduced! How does a cola help if SNAP goes down? It isn't fair! And no one at SNAP cares!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

SNAP and SSI are meant to be supplemental income, not primary.  Even SSDi is not enough to support a single adult in most areas.  In an ideal world, people with disabilities could live with family who help out financially, but too often that does not work out because of dysfunctional families.  If a person on SSI lived with family, the income would be sufficient.

The US is 22.7 TRILLION in debt....there simply is no money to pay for welfare programs...they were meant to be for people who tried to be self sufficient, but truly can't.  For those not disabled, they were meant to be TEMPORARY, not a career....but that is not what it has become, policies have enabled and encouraged people to become deadbeats and procreate like rabbits as single parents with no job skills...ideally starting as a teen.

From what I know, SNAP only goes down by a portion of the COLA increase...so for example, SSI goes up $10, SNAP goes down $5..but  that is still ridiculous...at one point the max SNAP went down, maybe 10 years ago it was 200/month (max), then it went down to 189, might be 192 now...

a problem is the overwhelming number of deadbeats that could be more self sufficient, but rather make a career out of welfare, by choice...having babies without a husband, poor work behavior, insisting on max hand outs.  for example, 2 single moms could form 1 household and be more self sufficient....they could work opposite hours and trade free child care for each other...but instead they insist on their own section 8, taxpayer funded daycare, etc

and yeah, there are people that are financially self sufficient, but commit fraud for benefits...for example, baby daddy lives in the home, but mom claims he doesn't and doesn't report his income, or people don't report cash income.

• ...Show all comments
    • Judith
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

SSI isn't meant to be supplementary.  It was given the name Supplemental Security Income to indicate it is supplementary to a low social security benefit.  Otherwise it is a PRIMARY income for poor people who are either disabled or age 65 or older.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It could be worse. You could be the one working and handing over your earnings to pay for other people's SNAP benefits.

In some countries, you would starve on the street. Maybe show a little gratitude?

You are choosing to complain about receiving something for nothing. How do you think that makes the people funding you feel? This is the type of crap that makes people want to keep their own money instead of giving it away. It makes them want to CUT services, not increase them.

You don't know what sort of health I'm in, but if I am healthy, it's not something that the rest of society is funding ;)

• ...Show all comments
    • SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

thank you for the great example of an a$$, feel free to switch places...you need to show gratitude for your health and stop complaining you are able to work and support yourself

• 2 months ago

The people who control SNAP = Your elected officials.  They tend to get more personal power/wealth from people/entities with lots of money.  Hence they tend to be loyal to those people. They don't pay much attention to people who don't benefit them.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It isn't their money.  They are just employees and must follow the rules.  Do you think the employee should just give you money from their own pocket?

Try contacting a local food bank. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It isn't that no one at SNAP doesn't care (they wouldn't be working there if they didn't have concerns about people) but there's nothing they can do about it.  They don't write the laws but the employees you deal with are the ones who have to put up with angry clientele who take their anger out on them.  They are probably burnt out from being understaffed, overworked and having to deal with angry clients.

You're right - it isn't fair and as long as Trump is President and Republicans have control of the Senate, nothing will be done about it.  If they had their way there wouldn't be any SNAP benefits to begin with.

Since you have a computer you can find out who your US Representatives are and your US Senators online.  And you can email them.  Just keep it sweet and short and to the point.  And get out there and vote.  

I frequently email my US representatives; don't know if it does any good but it sure makes me feel better.

• ...Show all comments
    • SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

maybe they don't like anyone with disabilities/seniors..especially white people...and if they are acting like a$$es because they don't like a person that is CRIMINAL OFFICIAL MISCONDUCT..they do not act human, they act inhumane...like they are pissed off they can work and would rather be on welfare

• 2 months ago

It is federal law. I agree it is wrong. Do you vote?  Do you tell your representatives how this affects you. They are the ones that need to care. If Trump continues in office he plans to gut your benefits.

• Susie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There is so much fraud in the system that they are ruining it for the people who really need it. Put blame where it belongs.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.