Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

Does my mother have to clean her own bathroom?

My mother hasn't cleaned her bathroom ever since I moved out of the house back in May last year. Well, technically it's a wetroom, not a bathroom.

Much of the floor, walls and ceiling are covered in dirt and mould. I asked her why she hasn't cleaned it ever since I moved out, and she said that she doesn't have the motivation to do it. Yet, she cleans all of the other rooms in her house.

Does she have to clean it?

• Foofa

If there's mold developing it could turn into a health hazard. At this point she may need to hire a special kind of cleaning service to fix that.

Well, I mean, no one is going to bust the door down and send her to her room without dessert for not cleaning the bathroom. It's gross, sure, but...

yes, but you cant make her do it

• Linda

Maybe it's so filthy, she cannot even begin cleaning it due to feeling overwhelmed. I know you moved out, but do you think you could help her a little bit so she doesn't feel like it is too much for her, like an hour or two? Maybe that's all it will take to get her to find the courage to take on this daunting task? 

Source(s): Life experience
  • Ann

It sounds like your mother is suffering from depression.  Tell her that if the room isn't cleaned from the dirt and mold, it will make her sick.  Maybe she is subconsciously wishing for that, thinking you will move back in and take care of her.  Let her know that's not going to happen. 

Source(s): licensed professional counselor

Of course not.. if she doesn't mind mold & filth...............