Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

I feel so on edge and worried about my health all the time. How do I get rid of this?

I have this nausea, churning feeling in my stomach, no appetite, dizziness and wobbly legs. I'm constantly worried about my health and heartbeat. I got various tests done at the doctors including blood tests and they came back healthy. But I have severe anxiety making me think they missed something and that I could faint or die at any moment. 

I have thanataphobia, chronic death fear. My doctors said I'm in perfect physical health and what I'm suffering from a panic/anxiety attacks. I've even thrown up a few times. Most days I either have no energy or I feel like I've just gotten off a roundabout. I am going on a long train trip tomorrow to meet with my school counsellor who does 1 hour therapy sessions and I'm really worried about being worried and sick in a coach. How do I calm down and stop this feeling? Also I am on meds but I think I need CBT? That or I just keep seeking reassurance from medical professionals.       

You need different medication.

Explain to them how you feel.

CBT would help a lot. But, it's worth keeping in mind that worry won't kill you. No one has ever committed suicide by stopping their heart, holding their breath, or turning off their brain. The fact is that your body has been in development over milliions of years and our vital functions are protected from all our worries and crazy thoughts. Next time you find yourself worrying, try to listen listen to your breathing for a few minutes (meditation). It's hard to do, but if you keep trying hard to do it (and doing the best you can), what you'll discover is that the worry will dissipate.