Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

Is this anxiety?

Most of my life I thought I am just shy and introverted, nothing more nothing less.

2 years ago on my first day of school, I had what I believed my first anxiety/ panic attack. And I didn't know why. I thought and thought about it, but I couldn't find a single reason that would have "triggered" it. Till this day, I still don't know what happened and why I had it. I went home and cried for 3 hours, without knowing why, I had no reason to, my body just wanted to cry on and on. 

My bladder became worst, I have to pee frequently.

My sleep schedule is messed up.

I get startled/scared extremely easily. 

I have poor vision, I usually go out without wearing my specs just so I could not see other people looking at me. I usually walk with my head down, to avoid eye contact with other people.

But then last year, things got worst. Again, not knowing why or the reason that caused it. From last year May onwards, my mental health went downwards quick. I skipped school, lied to my parents, stayed home all the time. I never had any motivation to get out of bed at all, there were nights with me saying "I'm gonna go to school tomorrow", and in the morning, it would be "I do NOT want to go to school at all" It was like this feeling that I can't leave my bed. There was such an invisible strong force pulling me to my bed. My attendance was really bad, I failed classes because of it. My moods are constantly elevated, when I'm happy or sad, it is intensified. There is no middle.

Favorite Answer

Dear child, my name is Srinivasan. I am 40 and I am from India. Yo wouldn't believe that I had been shy and extremely introvert all my life up until the age of 35...

I never talked to anyone in school, during my college days...my conversations are superficial and happen only when the other person starts a conversation...

I had this thing called Social Anxiety...where I felt  very uncomfortable and clumsy and scared in the middle of people...in middle of opposite sex especially...

I'd feel I was different...inadequate...couldn't talk like others or interact like some of the outgoing guys and gals...

From what I read from your description, my humble suggestion to you is to FACE YOUR FEARS...

That's how I changed myself 5 years back...

Before giving some suggestions let me tell you something...the reason that you don't want to get out bed is FEAR to FACE PEOPLE and to be in the middle of them...

WHY?

Because it drains your mental energy...you are not physically drained...

I'd feel the same way, unlike those outgoing gregarious guys and girls...

WHY?

The reason is this: When you can handle something well, you'd do that more...that gives you pleasure...and in contrast, when you cannot handle someone or something well or you think you cannot do it well...you avoid that (because of the pain it causes)...in this case you avoid people...because you don't think you can handle them (which is not true...you just haven't had enough "people training")...

Look at a socially skilled and people-enjoy boy or a girl...they are full of energy...because they see themselves as someone who can handle anybody, talk to anybody, have great conversations, etc...

You feel "tired" because with people you feel like it's draining your energy...why?...because you cannot handle them (so you think)...so that gives pain and discomfort and you are drained of your mental energy...

To change all these things, do what I did:

1. Get a profession counsel from a psychologist...

2. FACE YOUR FEARS... You have to put yourself "out of your comfort zone" and here in this case you have to "voluntarily" go and talk with "EVERYBODY"  even if you feel anxious and scared initially...

3. You will develop "people skills pattern" as you do like this and you start to reprogram yourself...You'll get to have many "success experiencs with people" under your belt...

4. I just loved the 4 walls and wanted to stay inside and be with my parents when I was your age...that wouldn't help much if at all...and it could cause damages to your psychology as you grow up...

First believe in yourself and in your inherent ability to face people and being with them in a CASUAL way...

Come out your comfort zone daily...

Learn from movies - You can learn from guys like Will Smith, etc...by watching those kinds of movies where a lot of people interaction take place...Even copy someone who is very good at "people skills" - model them...

Watch self-help videos on YouTube, especially Tony Robbins...

You Can. You will and You MUST!!

All the best...

P.S. The secret is to get as much "people experience" as possible...YOU WILL CHANGE...SEE THE MIRACLE....

Join a club that has people your age and who do some extra activities...have fun...Be open...be courageous...Do what you are afraid of...and you wouldn't be afraid of the same thing again...trust me...

JUST NOTICED THESE LINES:

"I have poor vision, I usually go out without wearing my specs just so I could not see other people looking at me. I usually walk with my head down, to avoid eye contact with other people."

Be yourself...wear specs. I have power too...Never be afraid to look people in the eyes...

One powerful tool to do that is to "smile subtly and looking" - You will change your self-image and what you think about yourself by doing this small act...

You say you walk with you head down...to avoid people looking at you...NEVER be self-conscious..."Everyone sees Everyone" that is nature...Be casual and be with nature...Never mind if others see you or don't think what they are thinking about you, etc...

Like I said before, the more you immerse yourself with people and do exactly what you are afraid to do...the more you change and become your POWERFUL VERSION... You can bring your powerful version into this world...YOU CAN...

P.S.S. I was so shocked to see how I was similar to you...If I Can at 35...wihout doubt you can...

I suffer from something similar, it felt like I was reading something I wrote myself when reading your question. It could be a chemical imbalance like bipolar which is cause for the extreme happiness or sadness with no real grey area in between. The anxiety could be from a variety of factors as well that are environmental such as abusive parents either verbally, physically or sexually, judgmental parents who are always yelling at you or making you feel inadequate, bully's at school who effect your self esteem etc. It's not always something internal, sometimes it's a low level anxiety causing these things as a result from abuses in our environment.

“I have poor vision, I usually go out without wearing my specs just so I could not see other people looking at me.”

This seems like where your problem started and snowballed from here. Your eyes are the window to the world. If you can’t see what is around you, the possibilities become endless. You don’t know if the person in front of you is your best friend or someone about to mug you. I was the same way growing up - very poor vision, but I didn’t want to wear glasses because I would be made fun of. Caused me to worry a lot because I wasn’t aware of many things around me. Use your eyes to assess situations, not hide from them.