Can prosecutors do this?

I’m being charged with vandalism by a man who I used to rent a room from. I smashed his car windshield several times because he kicked me out for taking a single can of beer out of his fridge, and for chasing his dog angrily after it bit me when trying to pet him. He had told me to get out, and I refused, especially because he had cleaned my room for me (which made me VERY uncomfortable, being 31) and made me feel violated. He called the police, after which he said I could just leave the next day. I left, he ignored my attempts to collect several hundred dollars in rent money. 

Now I’m dealing with a warrant filed against me over his windshield. My lawyer said he made a deal where I have to pay him back and attend drug counseling, because I suffer from mental illness and the therapist who evaluated me said I’m nothing more than low life drug addict. (Something I’ve suffered from for years as well.) I was told the punishment will be hard, might include jail time, and I’m being blamed completely over all this.

Save your harsh comments, yes addicts have feelings, but it doesn’t make sense that I should have to be held 100% responsible for reacting to this mans ludicrous reaction to a simple mistake I made when wanting a drink when living under the same roof as someone. Do you agree? Or is the blame and months of interruption of my life necessary for slightly overreacting to what he did to me?

• Reena

Welcome to the real world. What you consider "slightly overreacting" was a real crime punishable by jail time.

I think you need to start being honest with yourself and hold yourself accountable for the mistakes you make. Going through life blaming everything that goes wrong on some one else does not work, does it?

First of all if the beer was not yours then that's called stealing what you did. Second of all NEVER EVER pet someone else's dog without FIRST seeing if the dog is friendly, and ASKING the owner if you can pet the dog.

You said you made a mistake. NO! You didn't make 1 mistake. You probably made 3, or 4 them.

You also broke his windshield, and chased his dog after his dog bit you well you should have known better.

What I don't understand is how can someone chase a dog after receiving a dog bite. I assume the dog was small. Because if it was a bigger dog then the dog should have made you bleed, and experience enough pain, for you not to be able to chase the dog. I never seen a bloody man chasing after a dog, so I find it hard to believe you received a bite from a bigger dog.

• Adam3 weeks agoReport

Yeah we just have different morals. I’m not as uptight about guests or people renting, this is the first time ANYBODY has been so crazy about dogs or food. Thanks for your opinion, but I (and many others) would understand.

• Erik

Take some responsibility, you smashed his windshield, now pay for it

• Adam3 weeks agoReport

In my defense...

• Maxi

Can prosecuters do this? Yes........... we are all responsible for our actions, so you are responsible for how you reacted and what criminal damage you did, taking something that didn't belong to you, without even asking, so no I don't agree with you...and the landlord is responsible for their own behaviour in not giving you the correct notice to leave which you had some reason to challenge in the correct way in civil court

Not being harsh, just speaking facts as I see them based on what you say happened:

Yes, they can prosecute you for vandalism for smashing someone's windshield.

It doesn't matter what led up to it. It doesn't matter if he was mean to you or overreacted to your actions. It doesn't matter if he violated your legal rights as a tenant by asking you to leave on short notice. It doesn't matter if you struggle with mental health and/or drug addition. None of those things justify damaging someone else's property as retaliation.

Some of the things he did were mean and maybe morally wrong, but not necessarily illegal.

Some of them may have been illegal (such as potentially wrongful eviction).

But none of those justify smashing a windshield. It was a crime for you to do that, so now you must face the consequences. If they are offering you some kind of deal where you pay for the windshield and they drop the charges then you should probably take it, because it will cost you a lot more if you go to court because you'll owe the windshield plus legal fees and possible jail time.

As someone else mentioned, you *might* have a valid case against him for wrongful eviction and/or refund of a portion of rent. but you resolve that by filing a lawsuit and bringing evidence before a judge who can rule on the matter in accordance with the law and the facts, not by smashing windshields.

• Adam3 weeks agoReport

If there were someone like you who would help me when I was homeless then it could have been avoided.

• Ann

Everyone should be 100% responsible for their actions, period.. Did you overact ? Yes i think you did, and you would benefit from some management therapy to learn proper reactions, and not repeat what has happened. As far as the excuse of taking his beer because you say you were thirsty-that does not justify it, you could have had water or paid for your own beer. your actions have unfortunately caused some of your problems, get some counseling so you can have a better life

Are you a professional victim?  Work on that treatment for your mental illness.

• Adam3 weeks agoReport

Professional victim?

Nothing malicious in my response.  

You might have been able to take some action against the landlord for wrongful eviction and you still may...however...you vandalized his windshield...period.  

People are victims of wrongful eviction every day...the vast majority do not commit vandalism as a result. 

• Adam3 weeks agoReport

I’m new to this life lesson.

While what this guy was doing may not have seemed fair, you smashed his windshield and you did drink his beer. If someone smashed your windshield, I'm sure you'd want them to pay to replace it. It could be worse he could have tried to get you arrested and thrown in jail. Learn your lesson and move on from this, don't damage anyone else's property.

• Adam4 weeks agoReport

I would never justify forcing a man out of his home over a can.

Yes,jail time seems appropriate for your malicious behavior.😉

• Adam3 weeks agoReport

Even putting yourself in my shoes? He took the risk of putting up with a difficult roommate and should have. Acted accordingly. I do admit what I did. Was wrong but any reasonable person would question what led to it.