Should Medicare negotiate drug prices/payments? Why or why not?

Is it possible that Drug Companies look to get their most expensive drugs on Medicare Part D Formularies because they know Medicare will pay even to most ridiculously high price that no patient would ever consider paying?

• hamel5

There's no good reason that the prices aren't negotiated by Medicare. (  Even the VA can negotiate)

The reason is that Pharma companies spread a lot of cash around DC -  that's it. 

• y

I do not know about medicare but the ACA had a preferred list and yes, some of the higher priced alternatives were on it. Blue cross, the insurance plan I had at the time, adopted the ACA list, 3 of my medications were not on it and it was a real ***** trying to get them covered. The alternatives, did not work as well or had god aweful side effects. In all three cases, the ones that worked better for me were actually cheaper.

• Dixie

All Drug prices. Why or why not