promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Why is telling somebody to kill themselves the same as involuntary manslaughter?

Google Michelle Carter. 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Gary
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The problem with how much digital media and messaging is that the laws have not fully caught up with the pace at which such media is changing our society.

Reading about the case, and the messages sent back and forth between Michelle Carter and Conrad Roy, I have no doubt she is guilty. She knew he was vulnerable, considering suicide but not fully being sure of it.

She egged him on from the beginning, even giving him ideas on how to go about commiting suicide.

To make this easier to connect with, consider if you were talking to someone who had a gun and seriously considered killing himself or herself. You know the person has suicidal thoughts and means of committing such actions, then you encourage that person to take their life. But it doesn't stop there, you see the person point a loaded gun at his or her head, asking if it is the right thing to do, and you tell them to "quit putting it off."

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

it's not, not automatically. but at a trial, evidence for intent/motivation can be presented, if that convinces a jury , then they are convicted 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Sounds like you need to Google Michelle Carter and read all the texts she sent him over a long period of time. At one point he even stopped and she told him to continue with killing himself.

• 2 months ago

Not just telling them. Read the texts. She coaxed him over hours to do it. He had changed his mind and she talked him back into it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

If i tell you to kill yourself and i keep telling you to do it then you kill yourself it was me who drove you to commit suicide even though i didn't physically harm you.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Like I tell many people on here, they just find ways and more reasons to make more arrests so that they can expand the prisons with more cons. The more prisoners they have the more money to the law enforcement's and the court systems 

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Pressuring to continue when they have changed their minds. He was out of the car saying he didn't want to do this and he wanted help. The evil manipulative ***** used emotional pressures to get him back in that car.  She should have been put away for life.

• Jeff S
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because decent people would try to stop it. Instead she encouraged him to do it!

Hope she got the max sentence too!

• Wage Slave
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

She didn't. She was facing 20 years in prison, ended up sentenced to 15 months, and served just under a year. She was released earlier this week.

• 2 months ago

because you are encouraging them to die, instead of helping. you WANT them to die. therefor you should be held accountable.

• 2 months ago

Well, while he was in the process of killing himself he told her he was having second thoughts, and she continued to urge him to proceed. If she hadn't done that, it's very possible (probable, even) he would still be alive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.