Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Does turbo tax let you amend a tax return on their website or do I still have to mail the form to the irs?

You have to do it on paper.

Ammendments must always be done on paper by mail.

You can amend using TT, but I think you have to mail it in. Only current year returns can be efiled I believe.

• Eva

Amended returns cannot be e-filed no matter what software you use. They must be sent in on paper.

The IRS does not accept amended returns electronically, so no matter who you use or how you file someone has to print the return and mail the paperwork to the IRS processing office.

You can read their offical statement for yourself here:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/electronic-filing-e-file/...

Many CPA's and tax preparation offices will do the mailing for you so that you don't have to.

Turbotax online *might* offer this service, but personally I wouldn't trust it.

My recommendation is that if you filed the original return through turbotax online then you use them for the amended return as well. Their system has a record of exactly what you filed on your original return so all you have to do is enter the corrected info and the software will figure out the whole amended return based on what changed.

However if you take your original/incorrect return to a tax pro or start over with a new software program you will start by entering your entire incorrect return then entering what changed.

That extra step of re-entering your original/incorrect return just introduces another chance to make a mistake and you'd have a big mess on your hands if you file an amendment that doesn't correctly start from the original return.So just log back into turbotax online, click that you want to amend, enter yoru changes, and follow through the steps. I don't know if they offer the service of printing and mailing the forms for you, but that's easy enough to do yourself if they don't.