Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 4 weeks ago

Can I Amend my 2018 and 2017 Tax Return to add a dependent?

I just found out that I could of been adding my mom as a dependent all these years. She lives with me, doesn't have income, and I fund everything for her. So I want to know if amending my last couple tax returns to add her as a dependent is normal?

You certainly can.

• Eva

You can, but expect to be asked for proof that you qualify to claim her.

Yes, you can do that. She will need to amend her returns for those years to indicate she was claimed as a dependent.

• Eva
      4 weeks agoReport

No she doesn't. If she had absolutely no income or only social security, she was not required to file.

Yes, that's normal. That's what the amendment process is for.

You can still amend 2016 as well if she lived with you and qualified as your dependent that year. But the deadline is 4/15/2020 so don't wait. In fact I'd say getting a 2016 amendment completed and submitted should be your top priority.

For 2016 and 2017 you would get a dependent exemption which reduces your taxable income by about $4000. Your actual savings would be based on your tax rate, for example if you were in the 15% tax rate then the (approximately) $4000 exemption saves you about $600, if you were in the 25% bracket you'd save $1000.

The law changed in 2018. So for 2018 and 2019 there is no exemption but you'll get a new $500 tax credit.

For all applicable years - if you were single - you might be able to change your status to head of household which could REALLY boost your refund because it increases your standard deduction and gives you more favorable tax brackets. To qualify you have to be single, have the ability to claim your Mom that year, and have paid more than half the household expenses.If you already claimed HoH status because of other dependents you don't get any additional benefit for having another qualifying person, but you still get that extra exemption or credit mentioned above.

If you were married for any of these years then you can't claim HoH status and Married filing jointly is better anyway, but you can still add the exemption or credit to each applicable year.

One more note - each year must be amended on its own with a separate 1040-X using that year's tax forms and tax laws.

Yes. You have until 3 years after the due date of the return, which is typically April of the next year. In other words, to amend a 2018 return, which would have been due April 2019, you have until April 2022, and to amend a 2017 return, which would have been due April 2018, you have until April 2021.

However, for the years that you mention, there was a penalty if anyone whom you were able to claim did not have health insurance. If she did not have health insurance and you did not get charged the penalty, then you may wish to think twice about amending. Because if you add her, and she did not have health insurance, then they might charge you the penalty. (Technically, they can do that even if you don't add her, but it's less likely, because they probably don't know that you could have claimed her.)