Anonymous

Can not living where you are applying for jobs impact you? ?

I’ve been doing a nation wide search for employment in my field. I am currently employed but the pay is disgraceful. I have a Masters Degree. 

With my nationwide search I’m finding the employee seems hesitant to hire m due to being so far from where I’m applying. One company in Chicago offered me a job on a Friday and needed me there by Monday. I live in Atlanta and own a home. There was no way I could get out to Chicago in 2 days. 

Would I be better off moving to the state/city I want to work in and quit my job? Does your location impact your chance of getting work? 

In California a lot if Tech guys are moving out of state and it surely doesnt seem to effect them.

They've been hired across the nation without any hesitation. 

They had houses, and families too

Have you thought about selling your house. That would put you a step closer to moving forward.

Any company that expects you to be their in 2 days is kinda impractical  and I wouldnt want to work for them.

Surely these companies know you want to relocate...

Good luck

Absolutely.  I lived in a city wear one question nearly EVERY employer asked was "Are you from the area?'  Thay all wanted someone who's familiar with the area and the way of doing business thier.  

It's important for some jobs much more then others.  If your applying for a hotel concierge, for instence, you wood need to be familiar with the local area to help guests with the nearest gas stations, the best restaurants and local attractions, etc.

Thay may be doing you a favor if you live 3,000 miles away.  What happens if the job doesn't werk out the way you expected?  Than what do you do?  Your out a job and you gotta scramble around to find a new one pretty quick in an area your not familiar with and have know connections or job prospects.

Sure, and so can a lot of other things.  Most companies who are hiring a professional/career position and are interviewing candidate who are likely currently employed would expect a start date of 2-3 weeks after the offer was accepted -- not a weekend.  Only someone who was unemployed could change jobs between Friday and Monday.  That was just a very odd scenario.

Many employers will not offer any assistance in terms of moving expenses or temporary housing. As noted, start dates are negotiable but you should assume you'd need to give two-weeks notice and start your new job within three weeks.  If you get a job offer that isn't local to your current home, you need to expect to have to incur some costs to rent a place to live until your current home sells, etc.

How much being out-of-state impacts your chances depends a lot on the specific job and the availability of qualified candidates that are not out-of-state. Being unemployed generally is NOT a benefit in a job search.  Ironically, most employers would rather hire someone who is currently working than hire someone who isn't but is available sooner.  

It already affects me-

What I mean is I currently have a job, but I live the next town over! I rely on public transit, each way takes me 1-1 1/2 hours to get in, and 2 hours at night to commute home as well. 

My shifts are 5-8pm, so really I leave my place just after 3pm, and I don't get home until 10:30pm. I probably spend MORE time commuting than I do at my actual shift.

If your resume and cover letter show the same type of grammatical & spelling errors that you have demonstrated in this quick note, they don't want to hire you because you are careless.  Typically, people who care about these types of things proofread everything including random posts on a business forum.

If you are in a specialized field, your current location would not matter.  If you are a dime a dozen, then companies are less likely to look outside the regional area. 

• Thanks grammar Nazi you can go back to Germany now. 

• Scott

Of course it does. If an employer needs someone right now, you aren't going to do them much good if they have to wait to sell your house and move your stuff. So if they have have two hireable candidates (assuming similar levels of skill/experience), but one is local and can start immediately and the other is 1500 miles away, which one would you choose? Unless you want to commute until you can get you stuff moved, you're going to get passed over. I guess common sense isn't a requirement for a Master's degree.

• DEBS

Your start date can impact you getting hired. These things are usually negotiable though especially if you are in decent demand. Living there will help you find a job easier, but it may not be the best financial move. You have to weigh it out for your individual situation. If you think you can get a job in a few weeks, then that sounds good. If you think it will be possibly months, then think of an alternative.

Negotiating is key as well. Can you get up there in 7 days with temporary living and have it worked out that you'll have time in the next month to handle your real relocation? I know in the SF Bay Area, relocation fees paid to you if you're in high demand is standard.

• Thanks for your through answer appreciate it! 

I'm pretty sure that YOU could get from Atlanta to Chicago in two days. There are flights from ATL to O'Hare (and maybe Midway) everyday.

You don't have to move or sell the home before you start the job. You pack a week or so of clothing, and stay in a hotel, and then you fly back when it's convenient to get more of your stuff and to make arrangements for a real estate agent to sell your old home while you're in Chicago and looking for a new one.

• Are you out of your mind?? I currently have a job what was I supposed to do call my boss Friday night and say hey I’m moving to Chicago by Monday bye. 

Yeah especially government jobs including law enforcement

• Ya my friend is in law enforcement he said it’s a lot of “good ole boy” type of system and who you know around town.