I'm 7th or 8th generation inhabitant of North America. Does that not make me a Native North America?

North American Indians ARE NOT native to this Continent. So why can they call themselves natives and I presumably cannot.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It makes you an inborn, or autochtone, if those words exist in English.

"Native American" (mind the caps) is LEGALLY defined as "enrolled member of one of the 566 tribes acknowledged by the US government". Some of the other tribes are not acknowledged, for instance because they don't have territory or because their language is extinct

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You can only decide your identities for yourself it doesn’t matter what your parents or family passes on to you, it’s your life nobody controls it but you.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There is no such thing as Native Americans.  They did not identify themselves as such. They came from Siberia and were warning against each other here for resources and land. They had several territories. It wasn't considered to be America.

The country called United States of America was founded by White Americans who came after them.

• 1 month ago

I say yes. FACT IS.... so-called Native Americans did NOT descend from the heavens. They came to North America from SOMEWHERE ELSE just like the rest of us.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you're born in America then you're native to America.

• Phil
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

You will find that they have been here many many more generations than you. 7 or 8 generations may seem like a lot to you but you compare it to a few hundred generations it's  just a drop in the ocean.

• 1 month ago

My family was among the first immigrants to settle in Texas before it even became it's own country. Does that not make me a Native American?

• Zirp
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

no it doesn't

• 1 month ago

If North American Indians are not native to the American continents because they first arrived “only” about 20,000 years ago, then no human is native to the Americans continents, including you.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

By that same token, Europeans aren't natives to Europe since they originated from Africa. Thus, open the doors and let all people in

• 1 month ago

Indians don't use the word Native. Liberals are the ones using.

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.