How would you feel about this?

My husband came home from work the other night with a piece of paper. On the paper was some sort of Valentine's Day thing they are doing on his job. He works customer service for a medical type of company and they are pulling names and buying things for each other for Valentine's Day. The sheet asked what were some of his favorite treats, snacks, magazines, things he liked to listen to, etc. I told him I didn't think that was a good idea for his office to be doing that. He said it was all in office fun and was no different than Secret Santa. He said they were going to order pizza next week and have a little get together for some office fun. I have a feeling about him buying some other person a gift for Valentine's Day. He said it's nothing romantic but just the co-workers having some fun. How would you feel if your partner had to buy some other co-worker a little gift for Valentine's Day?

• Foofa

I'd marvel at any employer willing to give workers time off for a party over such a minor "holiday" as Valentine's Day. But I'd probably realize it was meant to be some kind of moral boost for the staff and then I'd help him pick out a nice gift for the random coworker whose name he drew. If you're for a moment suggesting this means infidelity I'd say you're being a bit insane. It's a random drawing not some targeted thing with any emotion behind it. Guessing maybe this is a relatively new marriage so I'll give you these words of advice. You have to pick your battles and you can't go to war over every slight irritation. This is not the hill you want to die on. Trust me.

• Ann

Well, it's a little weird that this is happening at another time besides Christmas, but if it's legitimate and he was wiling to share it with you, then don't act insecure and offer to help him pick out the "secret" gift for the coworker whose name he draws.  That shows you're secure in your marriage. 

I'd likely not care but I have never heard of adults in the workplace having "secret" sweethearts.

The origin of Valentine's day is romance, there's no good reason to do that at the work environment. It encourages ''work wives'' or ''work husbands'' which is an actual thing.

• Kieth

So whst you are saying is that you are so insecure that you think your marriage is over if your husband buys fuzzy pink socks for a coworker?

I would feel like I was married to a 12 year old boy having a class room party. valentines are not for co workers.

I think he is already being honest about it with showing you the paper.. As long as I'm still in the loop with what he is buying and what he is receiving, I would let him join in on the office fun. I agree it's a weird thing for the office to do but it does sound like a secret santa...

• Jerry

Different, but seems harmless....

It's kind of weird, but probably harmless.

• Sandy

yeah, I agree with you. it's inappropriate to give Valentine's Day gifts to someone other than your significant other. It's probably the idea of some pathetic employee with a crush who needs this party to get some attention.