Anonymous

Am I the only one who finds the e-girl concept to be really stupid?

I keep coming across these girls on Instagram dressing up in all these styles and claiming to be “emo,” when they know nothing of any subculture whatsoever. So does that mean it’s cool to be a poser now? I don’t get it. Though I have been out of high school for a handful of years. At least when I was in high school, people were more creative and you wouldn’t to pretend to know about a subculture or be something you aren’t, otherwise you would get shunned. Now it’s all about “look at how I cool I am. Did you know I’m *insert this kind of person*” when all they listen to is SoundCloud rap and are the same as anyone else. It’s kind of annoying.

No, you are almost certainly not the only one who feels that way.

This is an experience that nearly everyone goes through in life, when you discover that younger people are doing things that seem to lack something "genuine" that you shared with your friends when all of you were their age.

From here, one of two things happens:  Either you watch the younger set for awhile...and maybe even watch the younger set three or four years behind THEM...and eventually conclude that each cohort of kids has their pointless peculiarities that they're all caught up in, and that they think is "the real deal" - and that NONE of them is, in fact, any more genuine or meaningful than any other.  And you then stop paying attention to what children are amusing themselves with.

OR

You go online and start a campaign of comparison and criticism against the antics of those one or two cohorts behind you, which becomes increasingly hateful and pointless, and eventually embitters you while tainting a good part of your young adulthood.

Your choice.