Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

I paid a debt off for my wife. I asked her to pay me back when she can, and now she is angry. She said it is my responsibility to help her? ?

I am financially responsible, but my wife is not good with money at all. I want to teach her responsibility, so I asked her to pay me back a little bit at a time. She works full-time and makes good money. She just has a spending problem and blows all of her money while I pay our bills. 

• Foofa

This only makes sense if you have totally separate finances, an ironclad prenup and don't live in a community property jurisdiction. In most parts all the money you both earn would be considered marital assets anyway. If you CHOSE to marry someone who's not good with money you should urge her to enroll in a financial literacy class. You also shouldn't be paying all the bills. Marriage is a partnership and that includes contributing equally to running the household, saving for the future, etc.

Money has separated husband and wife you need to feel like ''one'' as it should be, you both need to find that first love you had for each other.

You won't believe this but the fact that the significant other is terrible with money is a reason to not get married. It sounds rough but think about it, your quality of life depends on your wife's spending habits. You can go in debt while using plastic and there will be no vacations, car or house etc...

You took a risk paying off her debt if you wanted to get paid back because it was likely she wouldn't pay you back. To double that up, if you don't pay off your debt your credit score goes down because by law, your finances is one. What she messes up, you have to pick up the pieces of that.

So, she's right essentially. Her debt is yours. It's not fair but that's how it goes. You should of gotten a prenuptial that the money is separate or go through the process NOW to take steps to separate assets including bank accounts for credit scores, taxes, the house etc.... I suggest you do this because this experience you shared will not be the first time where you will have to pick up the tab in her spending habits.

Read this article

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance/protect-as...

• Jerry

So her paycheck is HERS while your paycheck is OURS? I couldn't live like that. What about HER responsibility to contribute to groceries, utilities, rent/mortgage, and so on? What about HER responsibility to save up for her retirement and old age? 

• Barry

Did you get her agreement to pay you back before you paid off the debt? If not it was a gift.