Why does my pancake batter thicken up so quickly between cooking the first & second batches on the griddle? What can I do?

Favorite Answer

It is caused by the flour finally aborbing all the liquid. How are you measuring?

If you are making it from scratch and scooping with the cup, you are packing the flour and actually adding far more than you should.

Ditto when using a mix. Always spoon the mix or flour into the cup and level with a knife. See if doing that doesn't help.

I thought they were supposed to be thick. It's the acid reaction of baking power and buttermilk. It makes them fluffy.

• L

Whatever dry ingredient used (flour, Bisquick, etc.) absorbed the liquid.

If you think the batter is too thick, add a LITTLE milk and gently hand mix until the batter has the desired consistency.

If you think the batter is too thin, add a LITTLE flour (I prefer Bisquick) and gently hand mix until the batter has the desired consistency.

The flour begins to absorb the liquid in the batter. 

• Katie

The batter thickens up in jug/bowl that it is made in when you stop stirring it for a while.