Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Was this a valid argument?

I am an atheist and i was having a conversation with a Christian about our beliefs and he was trying to get me to believe in God.

So while we were discussing he saw knife cut scars on my hand and was like you did this out of depression obviously.You feel like doing such things because you feel helpless and hopeless.Had you believed in God you would have never done such a thing.

I dont get how does that prove the existence of God.Its possible for theists to get depressed and hurt themselves too.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

We don't have beliefs, just one disbelief.

It doesn't prove there is a god. The only thing that proves it is actual direct evidence of a god. Right now all they have is a stupid story with a talking snake.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

That argument

promotes the value of having belief in God

rather than supporting the existence of God.

• 4 weeks ago

The person you had this conversation is misinformed.

Anybody, including theists, are capable of self-harm.

This person you spoke with fits a stereotype, perceived by both theists AND atheists, that those of faith should be spotless and perfect.

But there is no perfect human, except one that was: Jesus Christ.

Romans 3:23 (NRSV)

23 since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; 

2 Corinthians 5:21 (NRSV)

21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 

1 Peter 2:21-22 (NRSV)

21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in his steps. 

22 “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.”

• barty
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That's just the standard line they're taught. Believers are always happy, unbelievers are always miserable. That's demonstrably untrue, but they never actually think, just parrot the nonsense they were taught to parrot.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

If you are cutting it is caused by demonic influence and is very dangerous. Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and any intentional harm done to it is like spitting in the face of God. Please find a deliverance ministry in your area and get prayer and counseling.

• 4 weeks ago

You sound like a Christian, but yes, Christians get depressed and sometimes try to end it. You only need to google it to see many Christians even in the clergy suffer from depression and anxiety.

• Nous
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It is a common problem with Christians who start to realize there is no help from that invisible friend!

Christians are grossly over represented with depression and related psychological problems and lead the use of antidepressants, tranquilizers and sleeping pills by miles!

• 4 weeks ago

We always got depressions that is the reason for the season 

or that is why we have somebody too go to 

we go to you Jesus Christ for the answers! 

Yes we run to him!

Who is Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ is the Son Of God and

No one goes God but through The Son 

Jesus Christ is the Son!

Say that again!

Now you try talking to the Lord!

God please help my to believe send my a prophet to talk to me about what is going on? In Jesus name amen Thank you JESUS 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You sound like hiniikken.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Stop spamming, Sophie. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.