Does toffee rhyme with tree?

I want to know if people think 'toffee' rhymes with 'tree'. Maybe only if you say it in the right way? 

I want to use it for a poem... What about 'honey' (again with 'tree')?

'Toffee' and 'honey' would rhyme with 'tree' ONLY if you placed the stress on the second syllable, which is most certainly NOT 'the right way'.

We say TOFF - ee and HUN - ee, not toff - EE or hun - EE.

Find words whose final syllable rhymes with 'ee' - like 'agree' or 'degree'. 

I tend to want more than a simple vowel sound to call a thing a true rhyme, myself. When there is simply a vowel ending in common, I prefer to at least have a similar syllabillic cadence to make the "rhyme" at least seem the same even if it is not actually.  wannabe, come to me would work as an almost rhyme whereas gladly, sadly would be a true rhyme.  finally and empty do not rhyme for me any more than honey rhymes with tree.

Most rhyming schemes employ two and two (syllables) or single-syllable words, not one of each.

Toffee - coffee

Tree- glee - free - knee etc

Honey - money - funny - sunny etc

Toffee especially doesn't work with a single-syllable word because the emphasis is on the first syllable 'toff', making the 'ee' sound of less importance and the rhyme awkward.

Toffee rhymes with coffee, and honey rhymes with money.

Words that rhyme with tree include:

be, debris, decree, degree, fee, flee, free, gee, glee, he, key, knee, lee, me, see, she, spree, settee, tee, TV, vee, we, wee.

• RP

Your mistake is applying the last syllable (ee) to a full word. Toffee and coffee are great rhymes, just as free and tree, but, when you separate "ee" and try to fit that with any word that ends with it, the rhyming pattern is broken and doesn't work.

They seem close enough to be feasible -  tree, to-ffee, hun-ee. Rather depends on the actual construction. (Plenty of rhymes are a bit iffy: eg I'm poet and don't know it.) 

• Cara

I don't think anyone would think that either "toffee" or "honey" rhymes with "tree", but since a lot of poems don't rhyme anyway, go fo it, but watch the scansion.