Should I tell my parents that my brother got arrested?

My brother was arrested last night for a misdemeanor marijuana charge in Texas. He will be arraigned in the morning around 8am. I don’t know what i should do, i don’t want to stress my parents out, and i don’t want them to get upset, and disappointed with my brother. My brother didn’t tell me if I should tell my parents when he called through the jail phone. He’s 20 years old and this is his first offense.

Do you think we could possibly keep this a secret from my parents or should we just tell them the bad news?

Favorite Answer

I would assume if he wanted them to know he would have phoned them instead of you?

Parents can usually be of more help in a situation like this, he chose to contact you though....

It isnt SO serious that they need to know

if he wants them to know, he can tell them himself

You telling them could open a huge can of worms, and make your brother less likely to confide in you in the future. Wait and see what he wants to do

i would tell them so they know where he is

The news should come from your brother, not you.  Stay out of it.

I feel like you should just tell your parents as they should know and they will probably forgive your brother

Merlin is right: if he wants to tell them, he can. Different if it was more serious.