Should i be worried about my belly button piercing?

Ive had my belly button pierced for about 2 weeks. Sometimes i have a white discharge that comes out and the top hole is pretty red, tender and swollen. However I’m a police officer and my pants and belt sit right on the piercing and rub it constantly. Could that be what’s causing the irritation and inflammation or should i be concerned with infection?

• Laura

Your piercing is never going to heal if your pants are constantly irritating it.  Get some gauze pads and large bandages, use the gauze to protect the piercing and give some cushion and the bandage to cover it and hold it in place.  This will keep your pants from constantly irritating your piercing. 

The white discharge is normal.  This is called lymph, and is dead white blood cells and plasma.  Its a sign that your body is healing your piercing.  The lymph doesn't concern me but the swelling and redness does.  You need to protect your piercing from getting irritated from your work uniform.  If you can't protect it with gauze and a bandage every day you should remove the piercing and let it close up.

So of course the length of time that a piercing stays irritated varies widely from person to person. However if the piercing is frequently being pulled and pushed around it's going to extend that period of time by a lot, and it does put you at a greater risk of infection. The white discharge that you mention does worry me a little bit. make sure that you're washing it with saline spray multiple times every single day. Belly buttons naturally carry a lot of bacteria in them, so you should be keeping the inside of it as clean as you can as well. If you don't have one or aren't sure what saline spray to use, this one is probably the most popular among professional piercers. https://amzn.to/2us5oVA

Yeah it sounds like the piercing is incredibly irritated, and it is most likely from the pants and belt rubbing against it. Having clothing that sits tightly on that piercing and rubs on it is, like, one of the number one things that leads to that piercing never healing, getting infected, and/or rejecting. I hate to say this, but the best thing to do would technically be to take the piercing out, because the chances of it fully healing are drastically reduced by that uniform you have to wear. If you are truly determined to keep it as long as possible, I would try putting several layers of bandaging over the piercing so that the clothing doesn't irritate it quite as much, but I have to tell you that I think the pressure from the pants and belt will still irritate it. I know that's incredibly disappointing, but that is truly one of the most common problems with bellybutton piercings. :/ You can also consult your piercer if you have any other questions!

• Mel2 months agoReport

Yeah sometimes your body just decides it is REALLY not okay with a foreign object in a certain area. :/ And navel piercings just tend to be temperamental by themselves, without extra stuff added on top like tight clothing. Sorry this his happening - my navel piercing didn't take either. :(

See a doctor asap. It's infected and will only get worse. Next stage is septicaemia which you don't want.