Is it possible to remove a HDMI port from one laptop and install it onto a laptop that never came with HDMi port??

I finally found a laptop I'm happy with Speed and Performance wise however it does not have HDMI I have several older laptops with HDMI so I'm wondering if it's possible to remove one of those and put it in laptop I'm now using. Thanks for reading. Cheers

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Hi. No, not with a laptop.

BUT - You can find adapters fairly easily & cheaply to connect to pretty much anything from anything.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Ca...

https://www.amazon.com/Giveet-VGA-HDMI-Converter-A...

And if they don;t get the job done, You might just have a mini displayport or "HDMI-__" port that You don't recognize.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt...

G'Luck!!!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

ports are soldered in.

also, the more THINGS your computer has, the slower it will be. thatxs why it is important, with a laptop, to get what you want up front.

with desktops it doesn't matter, as they are easier to upgrade, and you can just add a video card to get an HDMI port.

• 3 weeks ago

Not a chance in hell.

• Generally not. The ports are usually integrated on the motherboard of a laptop, you can't swap motherboards from 2 laptops unless they are they exact same model (and if that was the case, you would already HAVE an HDMI port). With laptops, you're mostly stuck with whatever you buy, unlike desktops.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Laptops are custom made and you can't move things like an HDMI port from an old one, but there are other easier solutions.   

All modern laptops will be able to work with dongles that will allow you to convert one of the existing ports to an HDMI port.  Some ports will work better than others with these HDMI dongles.  I need to know the exact model of laptop to recommend one for you. 

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No it is not possible. 

• 3 weeks ago

No, and sounds like you are not satisfied with the computer you bought due to the lack of the HDMI port. Return it and get one that has that capacity.

• 3 weeks ago

No.

Or rather, hypothetically yes, but the cost involved would be many times greater that buying a new laptop.

The main board would need redesigning, plus new software & drivers etc.

If it has DVI or displayport for video out, you just need the correct cable to connect to a monitor with HDMI input.

Or get a USB3 to HDMI video module.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.