Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 4 weeks ago

Is sleeping less during puberty stunting my growth?

Doctor said when I was a kid that my expected height will be around or above 6'2. I am 5'10 and had my big growth spurt already. Every school day I get at most 5 hours 45 mins of sleep is this a reason im not as tall as I should be?

mom 5'8.5

dad 6'0

Those doctor height predictions are often wrong, almost always in my experience. I was told I was going to be 5 foot 5, and im barley five feet tall, i might even be four 11 and a half inch. 

• edward

Teens and kids need more sleep than adults, they do their best growing at night

• balan

In any case chances of increasing the height after attaining the age of 18 years is very remote.If you are still below 18 years you may gain few inches more.Regsrds.

• kelvin

no no it still isn't

• ron h

Like the weather, the nearer to the event time, the better the forecast.  A man's "should be" height is genetic, but the ultimate height is also influenced by health.  Malnutrition and some diseases can mess up growth. and I believe that some preemies are destined to be smaller because of some ot the things done to keep them alive in their early days.  So, sleep?  The need for sleep varies from one individual to the next, bit I'd guess that your overall health would be better if you could get in another 90 minutes if not 2 more hours.  If you're not sleeping enough, nutrition (minimize sugars) and al least moderate exercise are REALLY important. I'd call a good walk or biking to school moderate exercise.

doctors guess like everyone else

• Andy C

Probably not, but it sure as hell is diminishing your body's health!