Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 4 weeks ago

What would be a good method memorize chords in a musical key to instantly recall any chord that would be in that key?

This would be Ideal if im playing live music, to just immediately know where I can go without thinking to hard about it.

I know how to work out the chords in a key, but it takes a bit of time say I will think A Major, and I know A Major has 3 #s, F# C# And G#, so Then I know the chords are AMaj Bmin C#min DMaj EMaj F#min G#dim.

How could I know though instanly what the fourth or sixth of A Major without thinking too hard about it? Do I really need to memorize and drill myself until I can say: "The third of Major is C# min. The Fourth Of E Major is A Major" which is my ultimate goal.

Now I Do have all my major and minor triads memorized So I can quickly deduce if im playing in A Major the third is C# minor and the fifth is Emajor, so Basically I think i'm looking for information amongst these lines to help me quickly deduce the 2nd 4th 6th and 7th, something that Can give me a quick response and I'm hoping I'll eventually just know.

I was thinking if I can memorize the second of every Key I can deduce the fourth and sixth from that, but it wouldn't be fast enough, so if anyone gets what I mean and has a suggestion, please let me know, thank you.

Practice, practice, practice. Play and play and play until it becomes automatic, you don't need to think. If you can read music and the music is open in front of you, you should easily be able to make any chord and key changes necessary.

Taught this for decades. Start with primary chords in simple keys. I. IV. V. I. Get fluent in playing (so first mentally identifying) in a short list - maybe 6 - keys. In major scales, those are all major chords. When you reach up to 3 or 4 flats and sharps, decide if you want to do more key signatures, or go back and start filling in the secondary chords ii iii vi - all minor - and vi (diminished). Yes - we are still in triads, no seventh chords yet. Go for fluidity in simple keys first - nobody is pushing you to play double dominants in remote keys! Once the basics are smooth, the others follow in their time.

And then - start on minor key signatures.  i iv V - dominant is most often MAJOR, due to necessity of leading tone.  However, you will find all variants of minor, as well as mode, used in various genres.  That can wait a little . . .