Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

do you got to do anything special to get a handgun ?

or can you just walk into a gun store and buy it and leave with it right there ?

I don't, no. Just go in and buy a gun. Just a short wait for background check.

Helps to have money.

• Mr.357

It would depend upon which state you live in.  In a free state (like where I live) you go into a shop, pick out what you want, fill out a Form 4473, and if you get a proceed, pay for the handgun and take it with you.  Other states may have waiting periods, identification requirements, and a different background check procedure, and might possibly require a permit to purchase or training.

Depends on the state, some require waiting period, foid cards and other bs, others just require the standard 4473 form, ID, money for your purchase and a NICS background check. Check your local laws I'm no lawyer.

• Quinn

In the US, you must fill out a form, show proof of identity and residency, then go through a background check. If the background check comes back clean, you pay for the gun and leave.

Proof of identity means you have a state or federal issued ID such as driver's license issued in the state, state ID, or US passport.

Proof of residency means you must have something that has both your name and an address showing you live in that state. Most places will take something like a utility bill, bank and credit card statement.

Background check means from the information you provided such as name, SSN, and such, the store then runs a check via the National Instant Criminal Background Check system (NICS) which usually takes about 5 minutes or less if you have a clean record. If you don't, you failed and cannot buy a gun.

Yes, you have to learn to construct an intelligent question before you can purchase a handgun.

• Mj

Depends where you buy it. Laws vary from state to state.

• JOHN B

Not that simple.

Where I live you have to dance a little jig and sing a little song first.

Source(s): It's quite jaunty.
  • Robin

here in the UK you cannot have a handgun for target shooting unless its a muzzle loader. If you have a ship over 500 toones you can have one for protection. The only other way is for humane killing of animals. To get any of these you have to apply at the police station and then Special Branch check your application. If you are lucky about a year later you get a licence. You then go to the gunshop and buy one if the shop is a section 5 dealer

• Richard

The UK sounds like a right royal pain in the ***.

Depends on the state. In my state you go into a store, pick out a gun, they do a background check using my Photo drivers license and when I pass it, I give them the money and they give me the gun. No permit required.