Afraid of therapy?

I was molested a bit over 4 years ago and still to this day I suffer greatly from it. It effects all of my relationships and I am always in fear of intimacy. I know it has caused me great mental issues and I'd like to see a therapist as I know it helps a lot of people but I'm 17 so I can't get one without my parent. I don't want my parents to know that I want therapy because they just think I don't need one and that I'm okay because thats what I show/tell them. I really just want to get better I've been suffering for too long but I don't want any pressure or shame imposed onto me by others if they find out. How do I get professional help, do I just wait until I'm 18?

• Andy C
    Favorite Answer

Speaking as a new parent,  all your parents want is for you to be healthy and possibly happy.   

Not getting therapy is clearly unhealthy. 

Over 13yo, one can talk to the doctor alone in regards to reproductive health.   Confidentiality is assured if you ask.

So ask (not to talk about BC, but about your concerns regarding your mental health) to get your parents out of the exam room. 

Your doctor can help you make decisions about therapy BEFORE talking to your parents.   Kinda like having a game plan. 

Odds are that your parents only want you to get better, and a broken leg doesn't get better by not getting a cast.

Traumas left not dealt with escalate until you are afraid to leave the house. 

Perhaps you are already there.

It's not too late so long as you haven't destroyed your life yet.  Don't let 'them' take that away from you,  too.

• Andy C

Odds are also high that your parents DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.  It's a scary situation that you cannot prepare for. 

• Tavy

There are free self help groups for this instead of a therapist. Look online.