Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 4 weeks ago

How do I get my fiancé to see sense?

Since I was young, I’ve always dreamed of having a big wedding - the dress, hundreds of guests, fancy venue, etc. Turns out, to have my dream wedding, it’s going to cost about $47,000. But my fiancé is being difficult. His mom is sick and he wants to pay her medical expenses. I don’t think it’s his job to pay for her care. I’m sure she has her own money she could use. Plus, if we pay for her medical care, it’s going to mean I can’t have the wedding I want. If he’s not prepared to give me the one little thing in the world I really want, it makes me wonder if he’s the right guy for me. He should be desperate to make my dream come true. There’s got to be something I can do to convince him.

• 2 hours ago

Maybe you shouldn't get married at all, since you are selfish.  Unfortunately some things have to take a backseat to deal with more significant issues, like sickness of a loved one.    A lot of times children must take care of their parents when they are sick.  Also my advice a wedding is just for one day, but marriage is a life long commitment.

• You are horrible, shallow, and immature. YOU are not the right fit for this man. All you can think about is yourself while your husband actually cares for others. His mom is sick, how could he just leave his mom in pain and misery just to give you a materialistic wedding. How is she going to have money if she is sick too?! Plus, $47,000 is a bit much for a wedding, that money could be invested in something much better that will be conducive for a good future- like a house down payment, hell that's even enough money to purchase a new car. Have some empathy and recognize that there are more serious things that need to be addressed. Life is not fair either, sometimes we don't get what we want all the time. 

• Foofa

He's not the right guy for you. He cares about other people, is practical, holds allegiance to those he loves and somehow managed to get tangled up with someone who's the polar opposite. End this before he ends it.

just another troll here on the wedding section

• Ann

If you're this shallow and immature, I hope this guy runs from you as fast as he can.  If his mother needs help paying her medical bills and he loves her enough to want to help, that says a lot about his character.  You, on the other hand, are pouting and thinking only about your "dream wedding" and nothing beyond.  It's not your fiance's job to pay for your wedding, by the way.  It's yours and your family's responsibility.  If you can't pay more than a certain amount, then that's what you settle for.  Period.  I pity the person who is dimwitted enough to marry a child like you.

• Athena

I'll tell you when you sober up.

You're right he shouldn't pay his mother's medical bills.  She should pay or get financial assistance of some kind even if she has to do a GoFundMe page.  47k is not a lot for a dream wedding...if your FH has that kind of money laying around I say go for it.  

• g
      4 weeks agoReport

She can't "go for it" if it's his money. He gets to decide how he spends it.

• GB

If you get your way,  then  I hope one day your children will learn from your example.  You call the extravagant do  '  the one little thing in the world, I really want.'  A mature person knows when a dream should remain a dream. You sound like a bridezilla, who regards her future husband as an accessory.  

You're either a really lame troll, or a really lame human being.

You’re probably right. He’s not the one for you. Don’t marry him.