Anonymous

Is it a bad idea for someone to go to college for nursing if...?

They have a learning disability and had a 1.94 GPA in high school?? I want to be a nurse SO bad but am worried that no college will accept me because of those things. I don’t want to go to a community college Because their nursing program has a 2 year waitlist. I know there’s sooooo much to learn and I just don’t know if it’s a good idea for me to do it because of my learning disability and how I did bad in school. The nursing program will probably be 10x then school. 

How many times are you gonna ask....? The answer is still NO. Go do something to change it instead of using wishful thinking on yahoo.

It's not a bad idea for you to go to nursing.

But the only why you are going to be able to go for nursing is:

Option 1:

- go to community college and complete your general education requirements by getting exceptional grades.  At that point, you can go to the ADN program or attempt to get accepted in a BSN program. 

Option 2:

- go to a for profit university where it is very expensive to earn your nursing degree.

There is no way you are going to get accepted to a nursing program directly from high school with your current grades.

You are not even going to get into a nursing program, or on the waiting list for it, at community college. You MIGHT have a chance at nurse's aide certificate program or some other vocational/occupational training program. You simply do not meet requirements to apply to nursing schools.

• Daniel

Yes, it is a bad idea.  

I'm not sure how you even graduated high school with a GPA below 2.0. If you couldn't even average Cs in high school, there is no way that you would even survive the prerequisites for nursing school.  I took A&P 1 with people that probably did much better than that in high school, and many of them couldn't get better than a 50% on their tests.  I know nurses that were previously successful college students going through a 2nd degree BSN program that struggled through it.

Sorry to be blunt, but you would probably be throwing money away by trying nursing.  

• drip

You have posted this before. And got some good and correct answers.

You won’t be able to get into nursing school. No university will accept you. The nursing program at your CC won’t accept you.  

A community college is the perfect place to start bringing your education up to the level it needs to be.   Get help for your learning disability. See if the CC offers help or ask your medical doctor