My computer is overheating, what is wrong?

I have an old iMac and my temperature monitoring app shows the cpu skyrocketing to 190 F in a matter of minutes and even when I turn the fan up the cpu doesn't cool at all and when it gets to the 200s the computer shuts down. Why is it overheating and why is the fan not able to do anything?

Favorite Answer

its broken, just trash it and get another one

Same thing what was wrong when you posted this question under your other account names. Trolling is still a violation here as is spamming. What's your knowledge seeking question about FAMILY (you know, the category your question is in)?

Can you open it?  I take the cover off mine occasionally to  vacuum out all the dust, duct taping a thin hose to the vacuum cleaner hose  and then sucking it out, like off the fan blades and other surfaces without touching the parts.  That helps alot.  Houses are very dusty.

Melora, Melora K, Pearl and Pearl L along with a cast of others (Colly Rodrez) is all the same person. They post these rediculous questions  (usually about old Macs and sometimes include violent teachers or siblings) and then give simple uninformed answers (Like "Just fix it.")  just so they can all get more "best answers."  

Don't feed the troll.  

One of the most common issues with aging laptops is overheating, something many people aren’t sure how to fix. We’ll help you figure out what’s causing the heat and how to keep your notebook functioning at a lower temperature.