Can I register a car that I purchased from a private party without the title being signed by the seller ?

• Edna

No, you can't.  If the seller hasn't signed the Title over to you, you haven't purchased the car and it's not your car. The seller's name is shown on the Title and he is still the owner. 

• Scott

Not where I live you can't. You will be unable to transfer the vehicle into your name without the owner's signature.

• May

No.  The title must be signed and properly filled out by the owner/seller

Not in my state. If the title is unsigned, you got an expensive boat anchor.

Same applies to a title with multiple buy/sell signatures on the back, like the original titled owner sold it to Jimmy, 3 months later Jimmy sold it to you, and then you go and try to title it in your name. Not going to happen, and here there is no forgiveness. It is considered an open title and you are screwed.

Only if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (in my state).

The Title is proof of purchase along with the Bill of Sale.

In my state, the Title must be signed in front of a Public Notary, Judge, or a Police Sargent Or higher rank.

No.  Call the seller to sign the title.  If the seller does not answer, you might have been conned.