My employer has lied on my payroll for the past 3 years. What should I do?

My boss has withheld taxes off of my payroll and has listed my hourly income as less than what I actually make for the last 3 years, so when i got my W2s my gross income has stayed the same despite getting a raise so I never got my real refunds?

Sounds like you should OWE the IRS money then!

I'm confused about exactly what is incorrect in your records:

Did the employer continue to pay you at your old rate after telling you that you'd get a raise? If that's the case, and the math on your pay stubs all add up and the W2 reflects what you were actually paid and what was actually withheld, then there's nothing you can do now. You could ask your boss to update your pay or ask for back pay, but you don't have a tax problem because your taxes are based on what you were actually paid. This is just a case of a boss screwing you and you not noticing.

If the numbers on the W2 do not reflect what you were actually paid, or the correct withholding amount, then ask your boss for a corrected W2 form (it will be labeled W-2c, with the letter C indicating that it was corrected due to an error on the original).

In that case you would amend your old returns based on the W2C for that year and you'd either collect additional refund or repay if your original refund was too large.

If the boss refuses to correct the W2 and you have pay stubs proving that its incorrect then go see a qualified tax pro for this year's return, that's a situation too complicated for the average person.

Do you not keep pay stubs, etc? Why stay at this job?

When you W-2 shows less income than  you actually made - then  you are paying taxes on less money and  you are getting a larger refund than  you should.

If the amount in box 1 of your W-2 is LESS than it should be - then the company has failed to report all your income.  When this happens, you pay LESS TAXES because your income was LOWER.  This means you get a LARGER REFUND.  If this has been the only problem on your W-2, then fixing it would mean YOU OWE TAXES and would NOT be getting more refunded.

Now, if the amount in box 2 of your W-2 form is less than the amount shown on your last check stub, then the company is causing you to miss out on money that might have been refunded to you.  

You should compare your last check stub to your W-2 form and if there is any issues with amounts not matching, you should talk with someone who prepares taxes to find out how to get it corrected.  They may be able to file a complaint with the IRS for you.  If you have your documents from the last three years (last check stub to compare to W-2 form), then you MIGHT be able to fix the issues.  

You just noticed? Where is your brain? What does your boss say when you point this out to him?

You should give the government back some of the refund that you weren't supposed to get. You're right that you didn't get your real refund -- you got more. When your income is less, the government keeps less, and you get back more. When you get paid more, the government keeps more, and you get back less.

Since you received a larger refund than you should have gotten, you should give them back the difference.

I don't think you will.

You and your boss are in some deep ****.  

Nonsense. You being clueless is not your boss lying.

• Carson

But you didn't pay taxes on your raise. Talk to your boss.

If you get the IRS involved you.may be owing back taxes.

i would talk to the police