Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 4 weeks ago

Can an adult still wet the bed?

I am a 19 year old with type 1 diabetes for a year now. I have had bed wetting problems for as long as I remember. But that ended as I grew up. And it stopped for a couple of years.

Suddenly at a recent time, I have wet the bed again. And I was wondering if it had something to do with the diabetes. Should I be worried?

Ask your doctor but it sounds more like a bladder problem than anything to do with diabetes. I was a bed wetter until I was around 12 years old, I am now over 60 and currently do have to wear diapers to bed as I have recently had kidney stones removed and a stent in and cant control bladder during the night. I also have type 2 diabetes but prior to operation I didnt wet the bed, Good Luck

I was a bed wetter when I was younger, my grandmother used to shame me and make fun of me because she couldn’t understand why I wet the bed during the night.

I finally figured out when was dreaming I was using the bathroom I had to wake myself up and make a run for it.  I outgrew this problem around 12 years old.

I had the beginnings of diabetes and sleep apnea.  I started  stressing over having the diabetes and the apnea,  when I turned 18 things got more special as during a physical they discovered a heart murmur.   With my health starting not to be as good as I thought  I started having anxiety attacks, and I would stress out over everything.

With all the goings on I started having insomnia and when I finally did get to sleep I tended to sleep too hard or long and I found myself bed wetting from time to time again.

I spoke to my doctor about the anxiety and problems I was having and we talked about all the issues going on.  Once things were resolved to the point I understood what everything and that it wasn’t dying from it or having any major trouble other than having to be monitored for high sugars (A1c and daily testing) the anxiety left, and I started sleeping again and the bed wetting was gone once again.

Talk to your doctor to see if there’s anything you can do to help with it,  they do have some medications that help with that, also here may be bladder stones or a uti etc hat may be adding to you problem.

i would ask your doctor about it and wear adult diapers when youre sleeping

Speak with your endocrinologist.  Anyone CAN we the bed.  The question is whether you have lost bladder control or if you simply are so deeply asleep that you fail to wake when you need to go.

Diabetics tend to make more urine, so it is common for them to need to urinate more frequently -- including at night until their diabetes is under control.  

You can consider using a bladder control underwear at night, setting an alarm to get yourself up to pee, etc. but this is really something to review with your doctor along with how well you are managing your blood sugar over night.