g

New iphone questions?

My mom just bought a new iphone 11 as an upgrade to her four or five year old iphone SE. I'm helping her sort it out but I'm not an iphone user so I don't know much about how it works.

One thing I've noticed is that we have downloaded some apps on the new iphone that have also shown up on the old one. Quite odd and makes little sense.

Also, what is the best way to transfer all her info, data and contacts? I have already tried airdropping many of her pictures from the old phone to the new one but it takes quite a long time.

Just connect old iphone to itunes, click backup, then click new iphone and choose to copy from backup.  All done, its simple.

• Rico
      4 weeks agoReport

Back up the old device first, so that when you use this method all data is current. 

The easiest and most seamless way to transfer her stuff would be through iCloud. Everyone with an iCloud account gets 5 free gigabytes of cloud storage which may or may not be enough depending on how many videos and pictures she has on her old phone. You can use other services like Google Drive or OneDrive or Dropbox or make a backup of the phone on a PC with iTunes. You would then restore the new phone from that backup and it should transfer her stuff.

As far as the apps go, I don't remember the specific setting name, but by default if two or more iDevices are on the same iCloud account, apps downloaded on one phone will be downloaded on the other one. I know there's a setting somewhere in the Settings/iCloud/App store section where you can turn that feature off.